Dell Inspiron 15 7559 keeps on crashing

dishant01

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016
I had purchased Dell Inspiron 15 7559 laptop in Jan 1st week , 2017. After around a month, windows 10 started giving me issues related to password after the anniversary update. It would not let me enter the password and would just reset. Dell support team helped me with system restore and it worked fine for few days.
But later the same problem was back and dell support team told me to reinstall windows which I did and same thing kept on repeating and I had to reinstall windows as usual. At times, the BIOS would ask em for system password followed by HDD password followed by admin password which I didnt even set. Made this to work by randomly tapping a key 4 times and then clearing passwords in bios setup.
Even tried calling Microsoft and all they did was re-install windows 10. As usual same issues were coming. In the end before sending laptop for repair I started getting BSOD. After I got the laptop back from repair on March 23,2017 where they changed the motherboard and HDD same problems are coming related to password. I tried changing windows to 7 and started getting BSOD, even tried with 8.1 but same result. It even ran diagnostic tests on its own when shutdown(Nothing was connected to the laptop. Not even the power cord).

Is there any way in which I can sort this out because the dell repair center has just made things worse for me? I have already lost my labs and assignments in it. I don't want to waste time on this laptop anymore. Should I get a refund or replacement or store credit(if they give)?

Solution

Graham_20

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017

It seems to me, if you're being asked for a password on bootup (away from the logon screen), you must be installing something or doing something which is assigning a Syskey and/or drive encryption. You may be aware by now, encrypting a hard disk makes it inaccessible from future installations without the decryption key or the drive's password.

Since the motherboard was replaced, it can't be a ROM based rootkit. Since the memory gets reset every time the power is turned off, it can't be that. Literally the only other thing it could be is the hard disk.

What you haven't mentioned though is what error specifically the BSODs you are getting actually say in terms of an error. A BSOD can mean literally anything, but it's the specific stop code you need to take notice of, such as IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or something else. These errors usually help to find the cause pretty quickly.

I'd advise to buy a cheap Sata based m.2 drive (WD Blue 500GB drive costs less than $200 and is much faster and more stable than the default 5200rpm Toshiba HDD the laptop likely contains. I have actually in my own 7559, added one of these 500GB WD Blue drives as well as a 250GB Samsung EVO 840 in the normal HDD slot, removing the default HDD entirely. Inexpensive but worth it. If it doesn't work, demand a warranty replacement based on the fact the product isn't even 4 months old, and Dell have already failed to repair it. Do so quickly though before their warranty expires.

It could also be worth buying next day repair warranty. The service from this is much better than the default, and should you have a problem, a dell certified engineer will come to your home to do the repairs for you, so no wait times for it to be sent in etc.

dishant01

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016

Thank you for replying back. The STOP CODE just says CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. See the image here.
http://imgur.com/a/4mMOZ
I have already contacted Dell regarding the issue and they have told that they will come up with a decision related to system exchange or refund(which is mostly not possible as I had purchased it from Microsoft store). Awaiting their decision but they have told that I will get a refurbished laptop as a replacement. I insisted them on giving me a new laptop as this one is only 3 months old. Waiting for their reply now. Will update here once I get their final decision on system exchange.

dishant01

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016

I have already told them about this but they are not ready to give a new laptop. Is there any other in which I can insist them to give me a new piece?

Graham_2_0

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017

For critical_process_died bsod try this

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2987158/critical-process-died-windows-start-error.html

Afterwards make sure you have all the latest official drivers from the Dell website. Input your service tag when prompted and it'll take you to the right page.

As for replacement of the device yes ordinarily Microsoft would be responsible as they sold you the machine and therefore are responsible for the contractual stuff. That said however I previously bought a dell from a reseller which broke within months, however I had next day repair service and they ended up sending me a new machine within days when repair failed twice.

dishant01

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016

Thanks for helping me out.
Have you ever faced an issue like your HDD getting locked and asks for password like I mentioned above in my post and then it unlocks itself on its own after like 8-10hrs? In my case I have seen my HDD getting locked in morning for last 2-3 days and it gets unlocked on its own somewhere around 3-5pm PST. I know it is a weird error but I had to ask..

dishant01

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016

Thanks for helping me out.
Have you ever faced an issue like your HDD getting locked and asks for password like I mentioned above in my post and then it unlocks itself on its own after like 8-10hrs? In my case I have seen my HDD getting locked in morning for last 2-3 days and it gets unlocked on its own somewhere around 3-5pm PST. I know it is a weird error but I had to ask..

Graham_20

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017

Just to be sure, so I'm not giving you the wrong information, how exactly is it locking? Like asking you to type an admin username/password when trying to install stuff, or is it asking you for a password before the system will boot up?

If it's asking for a password to install stuff or change settings, run programs which need UAC permissions etc, then i'd suggest something is corrupting the file permissions of the OS - perhaps stealing permissions from TrustedInstaller or removing your permissions as the user/administrator.

Otherwise if it's a boot up password, maybe there could be settings in the BIOS enabled to block access at specific times or just plain malfunctioning. I have seen that if there is a HDD password set and you don't know it, maybe Dell Support could provide a master unlock key in this case from you providing them your drive's serial number - or if not dell, the actual manufacturer of the drive (e.g. Toshiba, Seagate etc.)

Alternatively if you have another 2.5" HDD laying around, maybe from an old laptop or something, try that in the Dell to see if it works. If it does, you know there's something definitely amis with the drive itself.

dishant01

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016

The problems look like these.
http://imgur.com/NW0lqtF

http://imgur.com/9UfL54q

http://imgur.com/qgR0PDa

The problems occur in BIOS when computer boots up. It also occurs at specific times.

Graham_20

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017

It definitely sounds like you've been syskey'd and/or bios passworded.

For clearing the BIOS password, you'll need to contact Dell and request a reset code. Be prepared to verify ownership of the system with them. See here for info:

Dell can probably help you on the phone telling you the steps to use it too.

------------------------------------------------------

As for clearing a syskey, I found this by a poster on Microsoft Tech Support Forums. They said it works with Win 7 and isn't tested with Win 10, so this could work, but is not guaranteed.

1. Boot from windows install cd (in this case, it could work booting from the recovery partition). If you have no access to a CD or Recovery Partition, then ask a friend who has windows 10 to click Start, and type "Create a recovery drive". You can then make a DVD or a USB from which you can perform the following steps.
2. When the Install Windows page appears, click Repair your computer to access system recovery options.
3. Run System Restore to last point before syskey password blocked access. (This will fail, but must be done). Click run system restore again (this will take you back to the options list)
4. Open Command Prompt from the options list.
5. Open Regedit (Type regedit into the command prompt). Regedit will open.
6. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa, and change 'SecureBoot' value to 0.
7. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SAM\SAM\Domains\Account Change F value to 0000
8. Reboot and Login

If the above didn't work, check out this page, which may help.

When back in your computer, make sure to run extensive virus checks using Spybot Search and Destroy, AVG Free, and Malwarebytes. After that, you should be good to go. Hopefully anyway, because if you continue to get problems after this, it would unfortunately mean there's a virus actually embedded into your machine's motherboard, and Dell won't cover it on a manufacturer's warrenty due to absence of fault on their part.

I don't know how this happened to you, but I just want to make sure you're aware, if you ever get a message on your screen or a phone call saying you have critical errors with your computer, and they request you to download something to allow them access to your computer (using websites such as support.me), it is not real, but a scam. Don't ever call a number to a company you don't recognize, and don't ever give access to your computer to one of these companies. They will demand a payment from you and mess up your computer as per the problems you have if you don't pay them. Check out Galigus and Lewis's Tech on YouTube to see how the scammers operate. If you ever get a message such as this, scan your computer for viruses/malware/adware immediately. As for phone calls, feel free to mess around with them, wasting their time. Any time of theirs that you waste is time they could have been using to scam somebody else. Either that or just hang up.

Like I said, I don't know how you got this problem, but it screams possibility that you fell victim to one of these Indian scammers. If you did, do make sure to also contact your bank and file a chargeback/unauthorized payment claim.

Solution