Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2018
Here's the gist of the situation. I have searched all over for solutions before I decide to replace a part of my computer. I have not found one that is either feasible or works.

Essentially, by random chance, my laptop goes for a period of time where no charger can actually charge it. The icon displays that it is plugged in and not charging, and shows the infamous message: AC Power Adapter Type Not Recognized. Keep in mind that this is not a charger issue, as I have used two different chargers, both official and new chargers, that both sometimes work (again, based on the random chance issue).

Here are the solutions that have solved this problem in the past (all possibly coincidental):
1. Windows update (this solved it for a long time)
2. Randomly decided to start working again without reason (solved it for 3 days or so)

Here are the solutions I attempted but had no success with:
1. Windows update (just did it today, but with no success)
2. Unplugging battery and charger to remove residual power
3. Cleaning interior connectors for battery and charging port
4. Disabling and enabling the AC adapter port in Device Manager
5. Deleting and reinstalling AC adapter port in Device Manager
6. Trying different chargers
7. Updating BIOS (was already up-to-date)
8. Classic reset (take out battery and charger and hold power button for 30 seconds)

When running diagnostics, it claims that the charger is unknown. I don't know what to do with that information, but I felt it added more important stuff to this post.

Like I said, I want to try every possible solution that does not involve replacing parts. I don't have a lot of money on hand, and I would prefer to not have to resort to buying stuff for a year old computer.

I sent this same thread through the Dell forums, but I want to make sure I cover different perspectives. At the moment they are suggesting I replace the DC jack or the entire motherboard if it doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.