Dell Inspiron 15 Motherboard Problem

TheOrcadian

Estimable
Jun 28, 2014
Hello,

I have had a Dell Inspiron 15 for a few years now. About a week ago, I noticed that my laptop would not turn on. Curious, I messed around with it a bit, and discovered that when the AC adapter light (green) was turning off once plugged into the computer. Figuring it was a problem with the charger, I tried a different one. Same result.

After some research, I discovered that this seems to be a common problem among Dell machines. I found all sorts of solutions, such as replacing the battery and the power jack, which I did both. Neither worked.

I have now come to the conclusion that it is a motherboard issue, and it will most likely need repairing. Luckily, both my boyfriend and I are technicians and have reflow capabilities. What i would like from you, the community, is opinions on what part exactly has blown.

I am thinking either a blown capacitor or resistor...but I have no idea. Any opinions on specifics of what to replace would be absolutely wonderful, and my wallet will owe you a beer and a big old hug.

Thanks in advance!

Baylee

Hi, surely you have a component on the motherboard who is shorting the adapter. To find out which one, you have to take some reading of the voltages on the components who are in the power circuit. Luckily you don't have many components in the power circuit.

holodoc70

Estimable
Sep 3, 2014
I have one that is doing the same thing, I would be interested in your procedure and knowing if you found a
solution and have fixed yours. please let me know.

Shane