Dell inspiron 15z 5523, boots to black screen for a minute then reaches dell logo

Moleg1

Estimable
Oct 27, 2015
my dell inspiron 15z 5523 killed itself after getting to windows 10. I managed to fix it. It had the 3 beeps and black screen problem. now it all works, for the most part. the laptop needlessly is a bit hot. I even cleaned it all out to my knowledge. However, the real problem here is that when I turn it on, it goes to a black screen for around a minute or two, then gets to the dell logo and starts the boot. I think it is the old 5400 rpm drive and I did order an ssd, even if the ssd doesn't solve anything and the pc dies again, ill move it to my desktop. Anyone know what the black screen problem could be, or the heat?

Hi,

When you opened the laptop to clean it did you also apply thermal paste on the CPU and GPU?
- Do also test each RAM's in your laptop.
- If you have 2 RAM sticks, remove the other one and test it and see if it will work or not, do test the other RAM as well.
- Another troubleshooting step would be to uninstall/reinstall the graphics driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to Nvidia.
- Once uninstalled, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
- Reboot the laptop once the driver has been installed and observe if the same problem will persist or not.
- If all these will not work last option would be to reset BIOS by removing the CMOS battery for a second then put it back in.
- If the laptop is still under the factory warranty do contact Dell for a repair.

Moleg1

Estimable
Oct 27, 2015

I do not have a nvidia driver, igpu only. the CPU heatsink seems to be sodered on and not screwed on. the ram seems to be working since when the pc is in Windows, it does detect it.