Dell inspiron 7720 does not boot, bricked

rjanmaat

Estimable
Dec 14, 2014
Press power button, then screen keeps black and I hear a click ater a few seconds.
No dell logo, cannot get into BIOS with F2.

When I press "D" and power button, the screen test OK, so the display does work.

I have removed all HD and SSD to test if I could get a dell logo and into BIOS at boot. No luck.

This seems a motherboard problem. IS there anything else I can try?

I've seen many people with bricked 7720, but most people at least can get into BIOS menu.

I'm stuck.

Ronald

ShrikanthAtDell

Estimable
Nov 6, 2014

Hi Ronald,

I’d suggest that you follow the steps mentioned below and then follow the next steps to go into BIOS of the system to troubleshoot the issue with the system.

Switch off the computer.
Disconnect the AC adapter from the system.
Remove the battery from the computer.
Press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds.
Then connect back all the peripherals and check if you are able to turn on the system.
Please follow the below steps for resolving the issue with system stuck at Dell logo.

Turn on or restart the computer.
Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the <F2> key once a second until the BIOS screen pops up.
Using the right arrow key move to ‘Advanced’ tab.
Using the down arrow key move down to ‘SATA Mode’ and press ‘Enter’ button.
Change the SATA operation in BIOS from Intel Smart Response to AHCI.
Save changes in BIOS.
Reboot the system.
Go back into Bios (F2) and change SATA operation from AHCI to Intel Smart Response.
Save the changes.
Restart the system.
Now system should boot into the normal mode.
Please restart the system multiple times to check for issue resolution.

-ShrikanthAtDell

jsgphd

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015
I had this same problem:

When I press "D" and power button, the screen test OK, so the display does work.
When I attach an external monitor it worked perfectly.

Here was my fix... I had to purchase a new internal ribbon cable and replace it. The part was 7JFX4 and and got it for about $35. It is a more expensive than normal ribbon cable as it must connect multiple items like the 3D and camera sensor on the top of the monitor.

It is a pretty invasive repair as you need to take apart most of your laptop to get at the part, and I was pretty scared to do it myself, but I did it, and it only took about 20min total. I was comfortable taking apart a desktop, but never a laptop. I did have to watch an online video about how to access the internals of the laptop since I had never done it before.

Now it works like a champ again!