Dell Inspiron i7559-763BLK stuck in Windows 7, no drivers..

randrew1

Estimable
Jan 26, 2016
Hey guys/gals!..

I happened to make a big mistake. This laptop came with windows 10 that I didn't like very much.. so I tried installing my version of windows 7 without backing it up.

This unit only has usb 3.0 ports with no optical drive. Plugging in usb sticks won't function to allow transfer of drivers.. so it's dead weight at the moment.

I've read many threads but can't seem to find one that helps me. I've tried changing various settings in bios between uefi and legacy modes.. also enabled usb debug after reading that might allow usb 2.0 functionality.. didn't work.

I wanted to try reinstalling W7 again from the drive and I can't seem to get that to go through either.

Any tips would be appreciated :/...

-Ryan

himynameisraz

Estimable
Jan 15, 2016
Your laptop should have come with drivers and a backup OS no? I assume it's a new laptop still under warranty? Dell usually always sends a recovery OS disc, but since in your case you don't even have an optical drive I would imagine they would be able to help you out in another way.

What happens when you boot up the laptop now? How were you trying to install your version of windows 7?

randrew1

Estimable
Jan 26, 2016

Hey thanks! I got it used off amazon warehouse deals. I tried installing w7 from a usb drive. If it boots normal, then it goes through desktop in which there are no drivers to run anything.

I just put in another HDD with Linux mint and it seems to work if that helps. I'm only a little tech savvy.

randrew1

Estimable
Jan 26, 2016
So.. I didn't know what I was doing really.. but I installed a new hdd with Linux mint on it which happened to read usb and also the other OS on the ssd....

Transferred over a wireless network driver and started to get going but couldn't find an ethernet or usb controller anywhere. Downloaded tweakbit driver updater that ultimately did the rest!

Idk why getting the drivers were so hard initially.. if anyone could help me speculate on that I'd appreciate it..otherwise problem fixed