Dell Laptop External Microphone Question/Problem

chopper222

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
I had an Inspiron 5160 that had numerous problems. One problem was the external microphone I bought did not work for voice playback and more specifically Microsoft Dialer. I called Dell Tech Support as the computer was still under warranty, and performed numerous diagnostics, etc. The microphone was not defective as it worked with the voice recorder and passed all the hardware tests. I did not want to record my voice, I wanted the ability to make phone calls, specifically for when I was on hold or long phone calls (as with Dell Tech Support). I was unable to access any kind of microphone or line volume contols through the control panel, nor was able to add the microphone volume controls for the playback through the properties option on the volume control panel. I contacted Sigma Tel Audio who manufactures the driver and they said all they were responsible for was the design, and to contact the computer manufacturer. After surviving 12 documented hours spanning 25 seperate phone calls, 6 seperate supervisors failing to return promised follow-up calls (for this issue and many others), reformatting my harddrive and reinstalling windows twice (for seperate issues), I finally convinced Dell my computer had a problem and they agreed to send me an upgraded new computer for my troubles. My replacement computer was the XPS M1710, which needless to say blows my Inspiron out of the water. I still am unable to plug an external microphone into the jack and use it for voice play back and Microsoft Dialer. I called Dell Tech Support again today and after spending over an hour doing the same diagnostics, etc, the support agent came back after placing me on hold for 10 minutes and said that she just found out that Dell Laptops are unable to perform voice playback functions, is this true? I don't understand how I can talk to at least 10 seperate people, many of them supervisors, about this specific microphone issue and no one could know that microphones dont work with Dell laptops. I even called a Dell outlet during this long ordeal to see that if I acted like a new customer and asked him if I was buying a new laptop and wanted to plug a mic in and use it for voice playback if it would work, and they said yes. Am I being bs-ed by the tech support? If this is true, why dont Dell Laptops perform this function? Please help.

y2k6669

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Dude I got a Dell XPS M170 laptop and i was pleased in the begining and now its down hill. I found out my 2k system doesnt have an internal mic. WHAT THE ---- is up with that. A system without a mic. I bitched to Dell on this after the machine was mine and they said alot of people dont like the internal ones. What does it cost, maybee 25 bucks to fix a mic in there. I got screwed on many calls asking on my messed up payments. I do not blame you on your frustration. I was promised by lots of supervisors they would call me back. Days later and I got the calls but it was unprofessional. I always bought dells and this is my last one. I think we need to find a way to stand together and fight dell on this crap.

jhmr

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
I am having the identical problem.

Trying to use Skype but cannot speak to the people whom I call through my Dell Inspiron laptop.

Is there a fix to this?

Mass

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I have similar problem with my laptop Dell latitude d 510 , centrino tehnology...
I have skype and msn, but I can`t use my microphone! I try everything but without results.... :?:

If anyone knows anything about this problem with microphone, please let my know!

thx

Capt Frank

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
I have just joined the ranks of Dell owners with no microphone. I called Dell and the very nice Lady said that I needed my motherboard replaced and set up an appointment to get it done under warranty. The guy comes to my house, replaces the motherboard and card in the front of my laptop where an external mic connects, and..when he was done I still han no mic. My laptop is an XPS1210. I tried the fix that julessmith posted but with no success. Somebody talk to me!!!

vanna

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2008
I have found solution for my notebook Dell M2300!!! I spent almost whole day with this f*****ing issue.

1) unplug your external mic
2) open volume control
3) switch it to recording control (menu options/properties/recording)
4) there are few columns (internal mic, external mic, line in ...) each with checkbox at the bottom and one and only one checkbox is with tick
5) after plug-in my mic tick moved from iternal to line-in and this is wrong, we need to have tick on external mic. Tick could be set manually but ext. mic still doesn't work. So my solution is to do plug-in of ext. mic very slowly!! Try that and system will move tick to ext. mic when just half of jack is inside :))) that's it, now you can put your jack fully and it should work correctly ...

jocten

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Hi there,

I have the same problem with my Latitude D500, but can't get into the link that julliesmith put up to try and correct the problem. :fou:

Is there any latest news on a fix for the problem?

Regards,

Jocten

pvong

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Jocten,

Today I faced the same problem with my Dell Latitude D410. The solution is NOT with any software settings. The solution has to do with the microphone jack. I had an Andrea ANC-750 and when I used a converted plug (P-100) it worked. I don't know why. You might try a different microphone from the one you have.

Philip

jocten

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009

Hi Pvong, :hello:

Thanks for the reply. I have tried three different microphones, but to no avail.
As a last resort, I downloaded a piece of audio software from Dell Inc's support and downloads site. It appears to have done the trick, :bounce: although the D500 still won't recognise the built in mic on the USB webcam, but it now recognises any mic plugged into the mic jack socket. :)

Best regards,

Jocten. (UK)

ez_rivera

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I have the same problem with Latitude D630 using Cisco IP Comunicator. I found a solution similar to Vanna's. With IntelliSonic Enabled, once I am connected to a call, I start a Taino's ceremony which consists in plugging and unplugging the external michrophone, until IntelliSonic, SigmaTel, Windows and Dell are submited to Agueybana's power, and let me use one of the michrophones (internal or external). When I am in the office I always simulate to be using the external, because is too embarrassing to explain my co-workers why I use external mic sometimes and sometimes internal. Some of them do not believe in Agueybana.

G

I saw the same behavior Vanna described, but slowly inserting the jack did not work. I fixed it by checking a single options in the seetings of my SigmaTel Audio software:

Start->Settings->Control panel->Sigmatel Audio: check "Allow reconfiguration popups "

When inserting the jack I get a window asking me which input I want to use. Select "External Mic" and it works....

delphi98

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
My problem is a little different... I have a Dell Latitude D530. When I go to the sound settings, the only option I have is "Playback", "Recording" is grayed out...

When I go into SigmaTel's control panel app, the only option I have is Enable Power management.

The "SigmaTel" option does not show up in any application, not even Sound Recorder.

Any Ideas?

dwoodall

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I have the same problem on a D820. The external mic input has worked in the past. Now the laptop no longer seems to recognize it. I can switch to "Microphone" (versus Internal Microphone) on the Recording Control Panel, but it doesn't seem to work. Pop-ups are enabled in the Sigma-Tel control but I never get one. I can plug and unplug the microphone forever to no avail. This seems somewhat ridiculous for an relatively expensive laptop to have this sort of issue. If anyone has a solution to this please PM me at dwoodall@gmail.com.

frankatella

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Definitely look in the BIOS (Restart the computer and press F2). Look for Microphone and enable it (shows that it's for both internal and external). In the Sigmatel sound recording settings once the pc come up you can right-click and remove the internal mic if you want.

dwoodall

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009

So that no one goes down this path, the issue was a bad driver. The driver from the Sigmatel site will not work on the Latitudes. Stick with the dell driver is everything works fine.

weather_king

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

Hey, do you have a link to this software or remember the name of it?