Dell M6500 GPU black screen crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slingy17

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
I have a Dell M6500 with an Nvidia Quadro FX 2800M GPU. Whenever I try to play a game or put the GPU under any load, after 2-15 minutes it will freeze up with a black screen. The computer will be unresponsive and i have ti hold the power button to reset. However when i take out the power adapter to run on battery, or purposefully crash the GPU in MSI Afterburner by overclcking, the GPU runs at a much lower clock speed than its supposed to and everything will work properly although much slower than it could. Is this caused by the fact that my power adapter is 130W instead of the 210W its supposed to come with?

If you are using the wrong watt power adapter you can wind up with quite a few problems.

I would really suggest getting the right one, and also, avoid aftermarket ones. While aftermarket is great for a lot of things, laptop charger cords and batteries are not on that last. In that case it is best to go OEM.

er0101ic

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016

Like webworkings mentioned, Use a proper rated Dell adapter, the system is simply not getting enough power.

I too own a dell m6500 but with a fx3500M gpu instead. The PSU brick I have is 250W unit.
I was suprised to read you were able to run it with a 130W Power Adapter. My M6500 does not even boot-up past a POST message asking me "to use the proper PSU"!, when I accidentally plug-in a wrong adapter.

Slingy17

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016

I have since purchased an OEM 210W PA-7E Dell power adapter and the problem still occurs. In fact I was browsing the internet using Chrome with this new adapter plugged in and it gave me a black screen crash. Nothing has changed, I still need to minimize the graphical performance to maintain stability, which is not ideal for me

martinn.raevv

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017
Same problem here, i've posted a theme abouth this but no answear aswell... can you tell me if you found a solution or anything i could try???
Dell precision 3600m
Core i7
Nvidia quadro fx3800m
Power charger is original 5kg brick

rdronia

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
Great ... glad to hear that worked for you. Had the same problem trying to find a good solution.

Actually started having problems with this resolution and discovered a much simpler solution that doesn't require 3rd party software.

Right click on the screen and choose NVIDIA Control Panel.

Under 3D Setting click on Manage 3D settings.

On the right click on Program Settings tab.

Scroll down to Power management mode.

Select Prefer maximum performance and Apply.

If my first solution is working for you, then leave well enough alone. If for some reason you start having problems again, then I suggest trying this solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.