Skyl3r

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Hello everyone,

I have a a Dell Precision m4500 with the following specs:
i7-740QM
8GB Memory
Quadro FX 880M

I went to take a Windows Experience Index test to see if I could locate a bottleneck in system. This is what I saw:
03kfvp5.png

I know it's an older generation processor, but I thought, at least compared to the other hardware in this laptop, that it would match up pretty well. I definitely didn't expect it to be my bottleneck...

I started wondering if maybe there was a driver issue, so I downloaded all the latest drivers and found that only about half of them would install. I downloaded the latest BIOS versions, so I could incrementally upgrade, but those wouldn't install either.

Is it worth wiping everything and reinstalling Windows 7? Might this fix my issues or is there some other things I can check first?

Solution
Set the laptop to maximum performance mode under power options, plug it in to AC power, and give it another go.

Should do fairly well.

Microsoft does occasionally send out updates to the WEI, though I think they stopped since Windows 8/8.1 came out. They did one last update to make everyone's computer look bad. Windows 8/8.1 WEI is up to a scale of 10 rather then 8 as well, just to add more confusion.

Not really a reliable benchmark anyway.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Set the laptop to maximum performance mode under power options, plug it in to AC power, and give it another go.

Should do fairly well.

Microsoft does occasionally send out updates to the WEI, though I think they stopped since Windows 8/8.1 came out. They did one last update to make everyone's computer look bad. Windows 8/8.1 WEI is up to a scale of 10 rather then 8 as well, just to add more confusion.

Not really a reliable benchmark anyway.

Solution

Skyl3r

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012

No idea what happened, but it appears to be fine now. The processor is now rated at 6.7 which is more close to what I expected.