Dell Precision m6400 will not boot

Derpyholic030

Estimable
Feb 22, 2015
I have a dell precision m6400 that has been working perfectly up until about an hour ago. I was logging into Diablo III when i turned to do something, and when I turned back around it was powered off and the led on the charging cable brick was off. I pressed the power button and it did nothing, so I unplugged the cable and plugged it back in, which brought the light back on. But the second I press the power button on the laptop all of the indicator leds' blink for a split second then go dark again, including the one on the power brick.
I've contacted dell and they were no freaking help since it's a seven year old laptop that went out of warranty 3 years ago. If I can find out what is wrong with it I can probably fix it myself.
Any help is appreciated ^^

bobmanuk

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
it could be a problem with the brick not charging the laptop, not supplying the laptop with enough power to charge the battery or has a broken connection that doesnt always connect and wont charge the laptop enough to switch on.

if you plug the brick in on its own and not connected to the laptop, what happens?

if you connect everything and wiggle the power cable around to see if the lights come on/go off on their own

Derpyholic030

Estimable
Feb 22, 2015

I don't think the problem is with the power brick, I tried it with a 90w cable and it did the same thing, and I know for a fact that the 90w works as I was using it for the laptop before i got the 210w. I'm beginning to think that it might be a motherboard issue, since it seems like the power is cut off the second it hits the system, almost like a breaker being tripped.

As for not charging that battery, that's not currently a problem considering it doesn't have a battery at the moment.