Dell Streak Available Unlocked in July for $500

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
5" is too big for a phone for me. 5" is also too small for a tablet so I'm not sure what market they are aiming at with this device. It's just too big for me.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]hiniberus[/nom]It'd make sense if it could make use of 4G.Wait, it's Apple we're talking about, silly me.[/citation]

Apple hasn't named the 4th generation iPhone yet. The '4G' moniker has been a byproduct of people attempting to discuss the upcoming 4th generation iPhone. I can 100% guarantee you that the 4th generation device will not be called iPhone 4G. Stop preemptively bashing Apple.

omygod711

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
I dont think unlocked smart phone will work without a contract discount. Because buying an unlock phone at full price I will still pay the same 30 dollars a month data fee to use it on any network. I can use the phone without data and just use wifi, but the phone will be limited and if I am on the go a lot the phone would be useless. By signing a contract I pay the same $30 dollars but I get a discounted phone. Most people would sign up a network and stick with it for a year or two anyways. No point switching network a few times a year, you need a new number and/or paying for activation fee every time you switch.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]MisterClean[/nom]Not bad, but why would you want this when they've announced the Dell Thunder and Dell Lightning to be released sometime later this year?I wish we could get details on them soon, as I'm pretty excited about the two.[/citation]

As soon as the Thunder and Lightning come out the iPhone 5G will be announced, and weeks before the 5G hits the market the Lightning II and Ultrathunder will be announced.

At some point the consumer has to decide to buy a device instead of waiting for the next one and living without.

As an iPhone user I skipped the 3GS waiting on the 4G but won't be skipping the 4G once it launches.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Unlocked simply means it will work on any network such as AT&T/T-Mobile and all across the world where GSM networks exist. You can take the phone to europe, buy a per-paid sim card and use it at a much cheaper rate for example. I'm not sure it will work on CDMA networks like Verizon for example...

Anyways, I never buy phones under contract. If you try to buy an iPhone or an unlocked Nexus they're about the same price and this dell phone looks slick.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Niva[/nom]Unlocked simply means it will work on any network[/citation]

Unlocking is more than a network block, it can be any function of the phone the carrier wants some control over. Camera, Text, MMS, Web, Tethering, GPS, etc.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]can't really compare it to the $199 price point which locks you into a 3 year contract, the iPhone is $599 without a contract[/citation]

Now where did you find an iPhone for $599 without a contract and what kind of iPhone was it? There is no way a 3gs is being sold for less than $600 if rogers is selling them here for $730 without a contract. I think they would be at LEAST $649 in the States.

Status
Not open for further replies.