Dell studio 15 processor problems

kdmaris

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Hello,

i have a dell studio 1555 laptop i bought for college, and i'm having some weird problems with my processor.

i have a core 2 duo t6500 @ 2.1 ghz. i know about speed step and how it reduces the processor speed when the system is idle, but when i run video games like WoW or Fallout 3, my processor speed stays around 1000-1100 mhz.

i turned off speed step, and it still stays at around 1ghz. sometimes, it will go to 2.1 ghz, but only for a second before it returns to 1.1 ghz.

i don't know what's wrong with it, but it keeps doing this and it is really annoying and frustrating.

i use this laptop for my coursework as well, and i'm experiencing noticeable lag when i work with indesign or 3ds max etc.

what the hell is wrong with my system? please help!

G

Check both the BIOS screens and Windows to turn off Power Saving Options. And are you running the laptop on battery or on the power adapter ? It may be trying to save battery power by clocking the processor back.

G

On most Dells you reach the BIOS screens by pressing F2 as the machine starts to boot. Once in I would look for the option to disable power saving and see if that helps.