Dell Studio XPS 16

akx

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Hi all,

As an intro: Dell has their "10 Days of Deals" on and the Studio XPS 16 is (or seems to be) SUPER cheap. My question is: Is there any reason NOT to buy this computer (anyone have problems with theirs?). I am definitely going to buy a computer in the next 3-6 months and I like Dell and Lenovo, but would consider an apple. Anyway, thoughts thoughts thoughts please as I may go buy this tonight. Thanks in advance!

akx

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=DYDOFD1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=laptop-studio-xps-16

1_What is your budget?
Ideally around $1,000, but could go up to $1400

2_What is the size of the notebook
that you are considering?
15-16"

3_What screen resolution do you want?
high enough to enjoy movies, maybe games

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I want a powerful laptop w/ Core i7, at least 4gigs ram and dedicated graphics card

5_How much battery life do you need?
long battery life is nice, but not essential (ideally 3 hours)

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Never have before, probably won't but the option would be nice

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
video editing, converting, dvd ripping, etc. I use 3D software at work and it would be nice (but not essential) to do this on my new computer

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
at least 320 GB, 500 ideal. REALLY want 7200 rpm hd

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=DYDOFD1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=laptop-studio-xps-16
Costco also has good deals and free 2 year support

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
my current Dell turns 7 in June. Not great for video playback (Hulu? forget about it!) but can still do basic video encoding. Ideally this one will last 5+ years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Bluray isn't necessary (but it'd be cool!) DVD burn is necessary

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I love the Dell that I have now. I've had problems with HPs in the past. Lenovo looks like they make pretty nice systems too.

13_What country do you live in?
USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Thought of one more question: Basic resolution is 1600x900, and for $75 i can get 1920x1080 - is this worth it? I want to futureproof, but also don't want to kill my battery (although it is an LED screen).

Thanks for your opinions guys.

Solution
Looks fine. I'm assuming it comes with the ATI Radeon Mobility 4670? That's not a bad price for that system.

As for the other questions, I personally like the higher res screens. My 17 laptops has a 1920x1200 screen and it has spoiled me :D. Blu-ray just depends on if you own and BD movies or plan to buy them. You might see slightly less battery life, but nothing drastic (maybe a couple of minutes).

akx

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Sorry. It's the deal of the day. Studio XPS 16
Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Quad Core Processor 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
500GB1 7200 RPM3 SATA Hard Drive
4GB2 Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz all for $1150. Top of the line Dell with slot load optical and led screen

Looks fine. I'm assuming it comes with the ATI Radeon Mobility 4670? That's not a bad price for that system.

As for the other questions, I personally like the higher res screens. My 17 laptops has a 1920x1200 screen and it has spoiled me :D. Blu-ray just depends on if you own and BD movies or plan to buy them. You might see slightly less battery life, but nothing drastic (maybe a couple of minutes).

Solution

akx

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Thanks all for the input. I did get the computer and am very happy with it. Sure, it's no hot tub time machine, but it's super fast and fun to use. Now all I need to do is figure out what the heck Windows 7 is all about :)