Dell Vostro 1520 Flashing numlock

jorzallan

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
my dell vostro doesnt start. the numlock flashes and caps and scroll lock remains lit. i checked the service manual it says to replace motherboard which i did. didnt help. then i replaced cpu with P8700 still doesnt work. my rams are 2x2GB 667MHz. what can be the problem? Please help.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I can't tell you for sure, because I don't have access to the system and the details provided are scarce, but a faulty PSU can be the problem there. Also, a faulty power switch or reset switch can make it on that list. Do the fans start spinning when turning it on? Can you access the BIOS, or not even that?

jorzallan

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013

the fan spins for a while and stops and starts spinning again. doesnt show any display just after pressing the on button the numlock starts fashing. i used my battery to power on and then i removed it and connect it directly. same results as before

jorzallan

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013

tell me brother.. what should i change then? what do u recommend?

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Since you have already gained access to the motherboard (when you replaced it) I would suggest to disconnect the power switch from it and then turning on the system by temporarily shorting the connector on the motherboard. That could help eliminate (or confirm) my hypothesis. As far as replacing the switch itself (if it proves to be true), I am not familiar with that model well enough to tell you if it's doable or not. There may be switches available on the market to replace that one, but it's better to do a research online. A laptop repair shop could help you find one, as well.