Solved! Dell Vostro 5470 short circuit on the motherboard, do I fix it by changing it?

chekboi

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017
Hello,

1) I had a keyboard problem (some keys were not working) with my Dell 5470 laptop and I was trying to take a look inside of the laptop, because the warranty is over.

Some advices found over the internet were saying, that I should check the keyboard connector, if it is not oxidized. I removed the keyboard socket before removing the battery and now the notebook won't turn on. (no lights, anything) Other than the keyboard, the laptop worked perfectly before this stupid move.

Do you know what could possibly happen? Did I destroy the motherboard?

2) I have a Lenovo E420s with liquid spilled on it, is dead as well. (when I try to power on it, there is some light on the power button)
Will I repair it if I replace the motherboard or other components are dead as well?

I am new to repairing laptops, as you can see.

Thanks for any advice.

Solution
As you've stated the system/board might've been fried due to a short circuit which is why it's advised to always power down before disassembling any computing device. It's best if you drop both laptops to a certified technician since anything further could make matters worse.

Last I checked a motherboard will set you back at least(the cost of) a brand new laptop.

Lutfij

Splendid
As you've stated the system/board might've been fried due to a short circuit which is why it's advised to always power down before disassembling any computing device. It's best if you drop both laptops to a certified technician since anything further could make matters worse.

Last I checked a motherboard will set you back at least(the cost of) a brand new laptop.

Solution

chekboi

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for the answer. I found mobo for the Dell for 120€ and for the Lenovo for 70€, I think I would pay at least 40€ for the technician just for him to tell me what is broken etc. . The Lenovo was already inspected by a technician and he said he can't repair it for a reasonable price and that there is oxidation on the motherboard. Do you suggest me to get a used laptop for 200€ instead of trying to fix the Lenovo?

Thanks in advance.