Dell Vostro computer won't boot - displays PXE-E61 and PXE-M0F error codes

davidleecook

Estimable
May 21, 2015
I have a 5-year old Dell Vostro 3350 laptop running Windows 7. Today it wouldn't boot up and nothing that I've tried has helped, i.e. my system recovery CD, re-installing a back-up image, etc. etc.

When I turn it on, it displays a DOS screen that has two error messages. One is "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable" and the other is "PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM".

The hard drive is shown in the Setup Utility as "Toshiba MK3261GSYN (320 GB)". I've taken it out and reinstalled it, making sure the connecting cable was installed properly. I've also tried to re-install Windows 7 but it won't get past the screen that asks what partition of the disk drive you want the OS to be loaded into.

I've checked several tech help sites, and some of them want to sell me a downloadable program that will solve all my rebooting problems. However, if it is a hardware issue, like a bad hard drive, the program that I've paid $69.95 for probably won't help.

Any recommendations? Do I buy the downable software? Do I buy a new hard drive? Or maybe there is another solution. Please advise? Thanks!

Try to reinstall again and when it prompts you to choose a Partition, you should see the Delete option. Highlight each partition in turn and click on Delete then finally click Format and then New and Windows will respond by telling you it may create a Partition of its own. That will only be 100Mb and the rest of the disk will be used for the installation.

No programme can get you around this one and they are all a total waste of money.