Solved! Dell XPS 13 9350 Accidentally got Shut Down during Factory Image Restore

wrobbani.995

Prominent
Oct 1, 2018
Hi Everyone
I desperately need help from anyone asap
I have a Dell xps 13 9350 and recently cannot boot into Windows and everytime I started it, it just went straight into windows recovery environment page. Tried to do a factory reset but always failed. After reading a few websites, I decided to do a factory image restore. Unfortunately when I left my bedroom for a quick trip to the toilet, my 5 year old nephew start messing around with the laptop and she accidentally press the power button and turned off the laptop. Now, every time I tried turning it on, the dell logo appear, then the screen turned black and it kinda turn off then started on its own and the dell logo comes out again. And this keep going on and on.
Any help will be much appreciated
Thank You

Last edited:
Solution
Please don't use caps. It is considered yelling and rude.

As to the problem, its sounds to me like your drive is going bad, but to be sure I would try the following first.

Note: If this problem started after an update (or system reinstall), please make sure the laptop is not connected to the internet in any way before you use the following instructions.

Try the following...
  1. Power off the laptop.
  2. Power on the laptop.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process a few times until you see the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen.
  5. Now you want to let the laptop boot to the "Automatic Repair" screen.
  6. Click "Advanced Options" and then...

As to the problem, its sounds to me like your drive is going bad, but to be sure I would try the following first.

Note: If this problem started after an update (or system reinstall), please make sure the laptop is not connected to the internet in any way before you use the following instructions.

Try the following...
  1. Power off the laptop.
  2. Power on the laptop.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process a few times until you see the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen.
  6. Click "Advanced Options" and then select "Troubleshoot".
  7. Here you want to select "Refresh your PC", if you do not wish to erase data, or "Reset your PC" to erase all data and restore your system.
  8. From here just follow the screen instructions until the recovery is completed.
NOTE: You will need to get into the "Advanced Options" in order to get the "Refresh Option". This choice will keep your data, but any programs installed will be lost.

Do not do a "Reset" as that will wipe all data you have on the laptop.

Another version of this is the following...
  1. Power off the laptop.
  2. Power on the laptop.
  3. When screen turns black, hit F10 and ALT repeatedly until the computer shuts off.
  4. To fix the computer you should choose the second option listed.
  5. When the next screen loads, choose the option "Reset Device".
  6. Now choose which ever type of reset you wish.
  7. Your computer should now restore itself to "Factory Settings".
NOTE: If you get a message saying "Error Resetting Device", then you should have the computer looked at by the manufacturer (if still under warranty) or by a tech.

Solution

wrobbani.995

Prominent
Oct 1, 2018

Try the following...
  1. Power off the laptop.
  2. Power on the laptop.
  6. Click "Advanced Options" and then select "Troubleshoot".
  7. Here you want to select "Refresh your PC", if you do not wish to erase data, or "Reset your PC" to erase all data and restore your system.
  8. From here just follow the screen instructions until the recovery is completed.
NOTE: You will need to get into the "Advanced Options" in order to get the "Refresh Option". This choice will keep your data, but any programs installed will be lost.

Do not do a "Reset" as that will wipe all data you have on the laptop.

Another version of this is the following...
  1. Power off the laptop.
  2. Power on the laptop.
  3. When screen turns black, hit F10 and ALT repeatedly until the computer shuts off.
  4. To fix the computer you should choose the second option listed.
  5. When the next screen loads, choose the option "Reset Device".
  6. Now choose which ever type of reset you wish.
  7. Your computer should now restore itself to "Factory Settings".
NOTE: If you get a message saying "Error Resetting Device", then you should have the computer looked at by the manufacturer (if still under warranty) or by a tech.
Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for the caps.
Every time I turn it on, the Dell logo appears then it suddenly went black, and the loading circle didn't even appear. Which would be strange for anyone. However, I did try both methods anyway and unfortunately still not giving me any progress.
The only thing I can do at the moment is press f12 and goes to the boot menu.
By the way, I already have a copy of all my important files. So, I'm willing to do anything to get this thing working again.
Thanks