Scrvbs

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016
Can the 2.5" 1TB Hard Drive in the new Dell XPS 15 (9550) be replaced by a 2.5" SSD that I have lying around?

The reason why I'm asking is because I'm a bit strapped for cash and the XPS 15 with the non-ssd hard drive just fits my budget, whereas the pcie model wasnt. I also have a samsung evo 500GB ssd spare so that's what i'm planning on replacing the hdd with.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Is it possible to replace that with my ssd?

Solution
You should be able to make the switch without any trouble. If you don't already have them, you'll need some disk cloning software and some way to have both drives connected at the same time-like a USB adapter.

Calculagator

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
You should be able to make the switch without any trouble. If you don't already have them, you'll need some disk cloning software and some way to have both drives connected at the same time-like a USB adapter.

Solution

Balrog49

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015
Yes. Make sure to remove the battery first and ground yourself. The hard drive has a caddy that works fine for an SSD.

You'll be amazed at the performance boost. The top-of-the-line 9550 models now come with Windows running on an SSD.