Dell XPS 16 not working...

xBUNx

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
I have had this laptop for about 4 years now and now I am startting to have problems, really big problems. A few days ago I got my very first "Blue Screen", I put it in " " because it is a blue screen that I have never seen before. It basically has a black frame ( about 1-2" ) and not very much information. I thought it might have been a virus but I can't find a dang thing. Also it takes about 8-10min to boot up from the login screen (not normal). I am startting to get a little annoyed because I don't know what to do. I am ready to wipe everything and start everything over, but I thought I would post this first. Any advice? Ideas? Sorry for the long post, and thanks for reading it :p

teribithia

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
Just try re-install the OS to solve the problem. Generally the blue screen are caused by software error. Or you can open the laptop in safe mode(when staring press F8) and delete the software your installed recently.

xBUNx

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
I didn't install any software recently. Also there is a blue/green stcker on the bottom of my laptop "Proof of license certificate of authenticity Microsoft" and has a "product key", is that product key the CD key for the vista that was on it before?

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

should be

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
generally no, you will find out whether or not you need to when it asks you to authenticate your copy of windows (enter the product key). it will either say it worked, or you will have to call. If so it should just be a real easy explanation and they will authenticate it for you. we wipe computers all the time at work and i never have to call about it though, but i know there are cases where you do have to call