Dell XPS 9560 performance issues

ed.v

Prominent
Dec 7, 2017
A few months ago I purchased the Dell XPS 15 9560. I have used it on a daily basis since, but I noticed performance issues. The SSD and RAM works fine, but benchmarks for the CPU and GPU are very low. I have gone through extensive testing, but can not seem to find the problem. Dell's own performance testing made the laptop max out, and found no issues, but third party testing or gaming on the laptop will not make the laptop reach its capabilities. The specs should be very high end, but do not live up to them when processing tougher tasks. For example League of Legends runs very poorly compared to the specs. It almost feels like there would be some kind of cap set to the performance, but no such things are enabled. If there is anyone that could help with this I would be very grateful.

Solution
Which specific model do you have? The i3-7100H, i5-7300HQ, or i7-7700HQ? If the latter, is it the 1080p display or 4K display?

In any case, I would dispute this being a "high-end" laptop:
-- although all of the CPUs are "full" in terms of cores/threads to their desktop counterparts (2C/4T for the i3, 4C/4T for the i5, 4C/8 for the i7), their base speeds are much slower, & even at maximum Turbo they can't match the desktop models' base speeds.
-- only the i7 versions have 16GB of RAM stock (only 8GB for the i3 & i5 models); you can install more, but that's an optional upgrade for these models
-- The graphics are far from "high-end". The GPU is the GTX 1050 (unless you have the i3 model, in which case the Intel HD Graphics 630 are...

Lutfij

Splendid
1| Have you made sure you're on the latest BIOS revision?
2| Are you on the latest GPU drivers?
3| Can you list the apps you've used to benchmark the unit?
4| To add, can you state how you're drawing the benchmark results in correlation to a games performance?

I apologize if it seems harsh but there are a lot of people looking through YouTube videos and claiming XYZ. Only trying to ascertain a baseline.

spdragoo

Distinguished
Herald
Oct 17, 2011
Which specific model do you have? The i3-7100H, i5-7300HQ, or i7-7700HQ? If the latter, is it the 1080p display or 4K display?

In any case, I would dispute this being a "high-end" laptop:
-- although all of the CPUs are "full" in terms of cores/threads to their desktop counterparts (2C/4T for the i3, 4C/4T for the i5, 4C/8 for the i7), their base speeds are much slower, & even at maximum Turbo they can't match the desktop models' base speeds.
-- only the i7 versions have 16GB of RAM stock (only 8GB for the i3 & i5 models); you can install more, but that's an optional upgrade for these models
-- The graphics are far from "high-end". The GPU is the GTX 1050 (unless you have the i3 model, in which case the Intel HD Graphics 630 are the default option, with the GTX 1050 being an optional upgrade). That's enough for watching movies at 1080p or even 4K, but even at 1080p it's not high-end for gaming, & forget about it for 4K.

If you were looking for a high-end gaming laptop from Dell...you should have bought one of their Alienware products (GTX 1050TI or 1060 in their Alienware 13 models, with the GTX 1070 & 1080 available in some of the 15 & 17 models, plus all of them have either the i5 or i7 for their CPU, with their topline 15/17 models using the i7-7820HK that can be overclocked).

Solution