Dell XPS M1530 Help

maven19

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Hello

I have a Dell XPS laptop M1530.

Currently, the screen turns to white when I turn it on.

I tried blowing hot air through a hairdryer on the Video card, and that restored the screen for about an hour, and then crashed, so it was not a complete solution.

As far as I can tell, the issue is not due to the LCD, or motherboard, but the Video Card.

I initially had issues with the colour on the screen going pink/green depending on the angle of the lcd, and the webcam crashing when I turned it on, but the video card kept crashing last sunday, and then the screen went white after a few crashes.

Any advice or solutions ?

Thanks to anyone who answers, it is much apperciated! :)

Also, is it possible to remove the harddrive and put it into a Desktop and use it for the main drive ?

dingo07

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I have the same laptop, and just recently bought a new battery, and removed the heat pipe and fan assembly from the video card/cpu. I put some new TIM and the temps seem to be better than before. I suggest you do the same, and if you've never taken it out, while you're at it clean out the fan assembly.

---

I just saw your question about the HD. I don't suggest doing that, however, you can if you want. I now have a 240GB SSD in it that makes it extremely quick.

flank21

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
sounds like you video card is toast. if you're comfortable disassembling your laptop you can try to do a "heat-gun" or "over baking" to fix it(kinda like the xbox 360 rrod fixes.

It's unlikely that you'd be able to use your laptop drive in another computer as the OS drive due to differences in drivers. You can connect your laptops drive to another computer (as a 2nd or slave drive) and retrieve import data.

maven19

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
I am somewhat comfortable with disassembly (just by watching the youtube videos). I took out the screws to expose the video card to blow hot air on it, and I cleaned the fan in the same process

Would using a lighter on the specific area work ? or should I just go buy a torch lighter and try it ?>

- I asked Dell for repair and they gave me $300 :pt1cable: so I was like, okay there.

I guess I could utilize it as a 2nd drive as its 320gb seeing that I wouldnt be able to convert it into the main drive.

flank21

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007

Idk if a lighter would work, idk if the heat-gun method would even work but it is worth a try if you've got nothing to lose. But you made the right choice in regards to declining the repair, $300 you'd be better of putting that towards a new computer. You can try the oven-bake method described here http://www.addictivetips.com/hardware/fix-your-graphics-card-by-baking-in-oven/ but make sure everything that comes off the motherboard is removed ex. memory, cpu, hard drive, wireless card etc...

You could also try to find a replacement motherboard online. http://www.discountelectronics.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=4533 has them for $240 and that's all the repair shop would've done, ordered and installed a new motherboard. Keep in mind these are refurbished boards and honestly I wouldn't waste my money, if it broke once whats to keep it from breaking again?

There are backup software solutions that allow you to do a "universal restore" which basically lets you image one hard drive and restore it to a different computer regardless of the hardware differences. The catch is that the source computer needs to be working in order for a image to be saved :D