spdskater1988

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Hello,
I can get my DVD player to work. Never had tried my blu ray player until I got a blu ray disc from a underwater sub trip in Hawaii. I got home and tried to play it on my laptop and it was a NO GO. I just about crapped because my computer is out of warrenty now. I cant call dell without a hassel. Any ideas of what I need to do to make my Blu Ray play work? I bought the computer with the blu ray player so it should work...uh but it is a dell...need I say more. Please Advise. oh to make me sound even more silly I do not know what version of window I have how do I find out what version of window I have?

Chainzsaw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Wait, are you sure you have a Blu RAY drive to play your BLU RAY disc?

If you have a DVD drive - and you try to play a BLU RAY DISC, it will NOT work. DVD drives do not have the blu ray diode to read BLU RAY DISCs.

If you are 100% sure you have a BLU RAY DRIVe, you will need some software to play the BLU RAY DISC. AFAIK there are no free blu ray players for the PC - VLC 2.0 comes to mind however requires some....modifcations to get the blu ray player to work.

To check your OS version do the following:

Click on your start menu (or the little circle on the bottom left), now right click on either "My computer" or "Computer" and select "properties". It should say at the top.

dechy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
What does it do exactly? Does it not read it or gives errors on format?

Have you tried that specific disc in another BR player to at least make sure it's not the disc that's at fault.

Also, which OS are you running? (Start->Run->cmd.exe and look at the version up top; 5.1 = XP, 6.0 for Vista, 6.1 for W7) What software are you trying to use for playback?

I had the first generation of XPS 1730 (SLI+PhysX (pre-nVidia buyout) config, holy monster!) and it's still running like a friggin champion ("sold" to my sister).

spdskater1988

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Hi
it says
Windows Vista Home Premium
copyright 2007 microsoft Corp etc
Service pack 1

System
Manufacturer Dell
Model XPS M1730
Processor Intel(r) Core(tm)2duo DPU t8300 A 2.40 GHZ 2.40 GHz
Memory RAM 4.0
System type 32 bit Operating system.

Does that help? I am not sure what I was looking for. I am a medical professional ;O) trying to figure this out. :O)
Thank you
Bonita

Hi :)

You do NOT HAVE a Blue Ray Drive....

All the best Brett :)