Solved! Dell XPS screen is black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick5454

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I was using my Dell XPS 1530m with the famous nVidia 8600 GT card that overheats.

It went black. i closed it for a full day, called Dell and by some miracle it showed a screen garbled, rebooted in safe mode and it started working.

I did work on developing web sites in Visual Studio. everything was fine.

I turned on world of warcraft ( big mistake ). 5 minutes later video goes black.

Rebooted 50 times since then. I hear the windows chime and what not, so i know the mobo is ok.

Do you think this is video card and i'm screwed or could it be the lcd? i just need it on long enough to grab my data off.

nick

Solution
in order to grab your data off you can pop the HDD out and hook it up to an external casing and use it as an external drive or connect it to another computer and copy the data.

In terms of what the problem is, if you know your videocard was overheating (I'm not sure why you kept pushing it after you knew you had a problem...) then its most likely the thermal damage that's causing the gpu not to work. I doubt it's the LCD since if it was working fine during normal windows operation there's no reason for it to start malfunctioning when displaying wow.

AntiZig

Distinguished
in order to grab your data off you can pop the HDD out and hook it up to an external casing and use it as an external drive or connect it to another computer and copy the data.

In terms of what the problem is, if you know your videocard was overheating (I'm not sure why you kept pushing it after you knew you had a problem...) then its most likely the thermal damage that's causing the gpu not to work. I doubt it's the LCD since if it was working fine during normal windows operation there's no reason for it to start malfunctioning when displaying wow.

Solution

Nick5454

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Yeah I didn't know it was overheating. Should have.

Can you recommend the casing I should buy? I have a new aloe ware coming Friday and I'd like to buy it now.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.