Democratic Senator Wants Internet Sales Tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I agree with this. Online stores have an unfair advantage over bricks and mortar stores. I'm ont an overzealous "buy local" guy, but we do have to keep a healthy competition.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
We've been through this several times over the years. I'm not crazy about the state sales tax proposal. Would it apply to state sales taxes only or would it also apply to county and city sales taxes? If it applied to all of them the price I pay for products online will increase 9.5%.

ChaobSiroc

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
This is how the Democrats plan on stimulating our economy... by taxing us even more. Notice how the republican's haven't been pushing for this crap.

"Out-of-state companies that aren't paying their fair share of taxes are sticking Illinois residents and businesses with the tab."

How out of touch is this idiot? It's not the companies who pay the sales tax it's you and I, their CUSTOMERS.

greenlulz

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
THIS IS NOT ABOUT 'FAIR TAX' THIS IS ABOUT CONTROL. YOU'RE ALL BEING BRAIN-WASHED THAT PARTISAN POLITICS... THIS IS ABOUT DESTROYING THE MIDDLE CLASS AND CORPORATE DOMINATION AND ENSLAVEMENT. THE ONLINE COMPANIES HAVE SHIPPING TO PAY. THIS IS DESTROYING FREE MARKET AND COMPETITION. THE REPS DO NOT CARE ABOUT 'BETTERING YOUR LIFE' OR COMPETITION. THEY ARE ALL UNDER THE BANKERS BELTS. WHY DO PEOPLE NOT SEE THIS?!?!?!?!?!

ZOMG... ALEX JONES... THAT'S ALL I'VE GOT TO SAY.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Let me guess. You do bailouts for large companies with no interest, stimulus checks, and you cant even pay your employees, but you still seem to get a fat check. BS

His first name says it all. Dick

mykem

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
Shipping + Sales tax. No thanks. Goodbye internet shops. Main Street Fairness Act = Backroom Deal Act.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
If State Governments want their local brick and mortar stores to be more competitive, they will stop compelling them to commit extortion. Unless / until it can show it contributes to the transaction (e.g. by providing consumer fraud protection, which it does not do now; jilted consumers must front large attorney's fees to even begin an investigation), Government needs to unhand other people's money.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I'd like to see Congress actually solve problems instead of making up new laws that don't solve anything. Runaway spending and lavish vacations for Congressmen and **** for the rest of us. Holding hostage the U.S. while they argue about pennies of a million dollar bill (our budget) it's sick and I hate it. Also these senators are in their MID-SIXTIES no wonder they want to put a sales tax on online purchases- they probably have never even ordered something off the internet anyway. They're just finding a way to get money and I'm sure it's not going to hurt them.

P.S. I love Newegg :)

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
And I want a fair tax plan... We get taxed on what we make, what we buy, if you invest you get taxed, buy a house or car and you get taxed yearly... How about a 1 time tax on what you buy? Luxuries would cost a LOT more than what they do today, but at least we'd have our freaking money... That would be nice.

ti1706

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
On a semi-intelligent note, would this tax apply towards person-to-person transactions? After all, it hardly seems fair to charge sales tax on an ebay (or non-amazon but on amazon) item.

... unless yard sales and all other forms of secondhand shopping are correspondingly taxed.

If this is passed, I'll probably cancel most of the trivial purchases I make (a $4.98 v-game plus $2.98 shipping... PLUS sales tax? Old v-games aren't THAT good). Depending on what the percentage is, of course.

jjamess

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Some kind of online tax is needed. Local shops have higher overhead AND the customer pays tax. Online shops have nearly no overhead and don't require taxes. No matter how slim the local shops margins, they simply can't compete with that. Now with shipping for online stores and higher overhead for the small local shops, it evens the playing field.
I don't want to pay taxes, I doubt anyone does. But this needs to be done in order to stimulate local business.
This will be nightmare to implement though. Simple enough for the major web stores, but there are simply so many small shops out there that it would be a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.