lauren1983

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015
I'm trying to decide between a couple different laptops for doing graphic design work/photography editing. Lots of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign & Lightroom. Minimal video editing. Of the ones I'm considering some of the specs are the same for 17.3" screen, quad core, 16GB memory but other specs I'm really not sure what's considered better.

Here's the choices:

Acer Aspire V Nitro VN7-791G-792A
Asus Opt1: Asus ROG G751JT-CH71
Asus Opt2: Asus ROG G751JL-DS71

They're all fairly close in price...within a couple hundred, but obviously if I can get away with spending less and still get a good machine, that's the goal.
Acer: $1349 (no tax through newegg)
Asus Opt1: $1499 (no tax through newegg)
Asus Opt2: $1299 + tax (out of stock on newegg)

All 3 have 1TB HD. Both Asus are 7200rpm vs the Acer 5400rmp. However, the Acer has 256GB SSD while neither of the Asus options have any SSD. I'm not really tech savvy enough to know how much difference this makes or not with how I'll be using the machine - thoughts appreciated.

As a designer, the screen is very important to me. I've seen the Asus Opt 1 screen in person and it's beautiful. Assuming Asus Opt 2 would be the same screen, just slightly different internal workings. Heard good things in reviews about the Acer IPS screen but haven't found one in store to view so...nervous about something I can't see ahead.

Video card:
I don't know how much difference 960/965/970 is or whether 2/3/4 GB is more important.
Acer has NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5
Asus Opt1 has NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M 3 GB
Asus Opt 2 has NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M 2GB

Acer and Asus Opt 2 both have 4720HQ 2.6 GHz while Asus Opt 1 has 4710HQ 2.5GHz
Is there a big difference between the two?

The Acer is lighter than both Asus options. I'm not going to be moving it around a bunch so this isn't a huge concern and much lower on the level of importance for what I'm getting but would be nice to have something lighter when I'm traveling.

Any help on deciding what's the best bet is very much appreciated.

Solution

Greetings, Lauren:

Considering that the Opt2 Asus is out of stock, let's focus on the other two:

The Acer is clearly faster and has a better graphics card. And it's less expensive. It would seem to be a no-brainer, except that you've seen the Opt1 Asus screen and you liked it. If you can't find an Acer in a store to compare, then I suggest you go by your initial reaction to the Opt1 Asus - at least you'll now what you're getting. The price difference is mostly down to the Asus being regarded as more 'premium'.

On that note, bear in mind that both machines are actually slated as 'gaming laptops', and what gamers go for in terms of graphics performance may not correspond to your needs as a graphics professional. Perhaps what you need is a 15-inch Macbook Retina... (the 17-inch model has been retired)

Also, go to YouTube and watch e.g. Lisa from Mobile Tech Reviews or Erica Griffin: They review laptops and smartphones and both seem to be graphics professionals.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

Solution

lauren1983

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015

Hi GreyCatz,
Thanks so much for the reply. The Asus Opt 2 is out of stock on NewEgg where they don't charge tax but available on other sellers. Sorry for confusion - I can see where that one went astray. I just meant that the $1299 isn't quite a fair comparison since I'd have to pay tax on it and not on the others.

Good to know feedback on the speed and video card. I wasn't sure which was best. You'd think 970 being the highest number would be the "latest and greatest" but then it only has 3GB as opposed to the 960's 4GB so I was rather confused.

Used a mac in college, but the firm I work for now is all PC based so need to stay in that range as opposed to one of the macbooks. There's just too many issues with cross-compatibility and would need to get different software.

I'll definitely check out YouTube for Lisa from Mobile Tech Reviews or Erica Griffin and see what they've got to say as well. Thanks for the additional resource.