Desktop Cpus in Laptops

Anthony Palmer

Estimable
Feb 9, 2015
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with laptops that desktop CPUs? wondering about cooling, heating, throttling and basic performance

psycrow395

Honorable
Feb 13, 2012
hello there im not sure of your question? but if your asking if anyone has had experience with desktop CPU's in a laptop the answer is no, laptop CPU's are made different than desktop CPU's so the models and such are not the same, now when it comes to performance desktop CPU's before better than laptops CPU's mainly because a desktop CPU doesnt have to worry about trying help save battery life whereas a laptop cpu is trying to help with battery life which is not really a bad things just means that you wont get top tier performance for playing battlefield hardline or autocad on a laptop CPU like you would with a desktop CPU. now cooling is all dependent on the model of laptop each company offers there own ways of cooling of there laptops some use dual exaust fans in the rear of the laptops and other use exaust vents on the bottom a decent laptop with have good overall cooling and good performance now if u buy a top tier gaming laptop it will have great cooling built inside and great performance. in conclusion a desktop CPU will out perform a laptop CPU and the desktop CPU will have better user selectable cooling options than a desktop hope this helps

Anthony Palmer

Estimable
Feb 9, 2015

I've recently ordered a custom laptop that has a desktop cpu inside. The cooling system is adapted to handle the heat I'm guessing from the CPU. I know that laptop cpus don't tend to have as much power as desktop as they are trying to reduce heat/power. I'm guessing all this has been thought through for this laptop however as they are receiving great reviews about the system. As for saving power I don't many people go for high spec gaming laptops to use on the go, Mine will be on battery fairly often. I was curious mainly if anyone else had bought similar systems in the past and their thoughts on those setups. I'm guessing it is basically a mobile desktop as it will have an i7 quad core 4790k in it

AdviserKulikov

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
The i7 4970k has a TDP of 88 Watts, the laptop probably has throttling when on battery rather than plugged in and will likely present no issues. It also probably has a 970M or 980M graphics card, which doesn't really need a 4790K to power it unless you're using it for CPU intensive programs. The graphics card will bottleneck your CPU for 95% of games.

The laptop may get hot when plugged in and gaming, keep it away from your lap, put it on a table when plugged in. It is generally a good idea to keep all laptops away from your lap to avoid slow burns, but high end gaming laptops consume more power and thus put out more heat. Should the ventilation become obstructed by legs or a blanket, the system will heat up until it throttles itself down. Just keep this in mind since you're going to be using it for gaming.

Ibreakthings

Estimable
Apr 6, 2014
I have a laptop with a Pentium D in it. It uses LGA775 and my desktop has the same socket. Its pretty fast for a laptop TF2,Minecraft,World Of Tanks and dosent get hot and crash id compare it to a netbook with it hot,

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2864379/origin-beastly-new-eon-laptops-boast-full-blown-desktop-core-i7-processors.html
?

mobile processors are designed to be power and thermal efficient. by using a desktop cpu you will drain your battery faster and have more heat to dissipate.

there is a reason why laptops use underpowered hardware compared with desktops and breaking those rules means more heat and less battery as well as more weight in some cases.

--

if you want a small system but do not need to travel make a micro itx system which can tuck into a small space.

if you need to travel i'd get a standard laptop with mobile hardware.

Anthony Palmer

Estimable
Feb 9, 2015
Sorry guys it's a i7-4790s which has a much lower TDP though it's slower at 4ghz max turbo it's said to be a lot cooler and doesn't suffer from throttling like the i7-4790k, I've got a 970 gtx in it and I'm using SSD's as they are cooler. So far I've had no problems with heat or throttling even when gaming. The battery definitely isn't great I think I can get an hour tops but then again like I mentioned I've not much use for it on battery wherever it goes it is on mains. I've been benchmarking it and checking temps etc and seems fine the fans when set to maximum bring everything down to the 30's which is great.

Anthony Palmer

Estimable
Feb 9, 2015

970m it is a laptop lol yeah its quite bulky to accommodate the cpu cooling. 4ghz though so plenty of power