Developer: Current FPS Games Are "Boring"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I too think the author was referring to the "rail", or linear style of gameplay that you see in so many different [console] shooters these days. The "push this button to gain cover", and every fight plays out mostly the same.

I much prefer the more wide-open gameplay that's Crysis & Far Cry.

As for Tribes & Planetside: Those were fun games. Tempting as it is to fire-up Planetside again, I think instead I might try and hunt-down my Tribes 2 disk. I hope it still works on Win7x64.

bamslang

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
[citation][nom]dreamphantom_1977[/nom]Tea bagging - nothing would be more real than an enemy that teabag u after the kill. Plus that would motivate you to keep playing so you can teabag him back.[/citation]
You had me till there. That's the dumebst thing I've heard. I don't want the AI acting like a little 13 year old who got a lucky head shot. If I wanted that, I would play CS.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
HolyCrusader,

T2 does work on Win7x64, make sure you go to Tribes Next and hook up with them. Their servers are alive again.

G

I'm not for 1st person shooters. I think they really are boring!
The excitement only is there when playing in a team, but nothing that you can't get from playing a nice game of WORMS ARMAGEDDON in a team!

I never liked 1st person shooter, if anything 3rd person I find more thrilling especially when playing ONI or a Star Wars game where you can do some combo's like on the old streetfighter or Killer Instinct games!

sslazio77

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
MW = Great shooter, MW2 = fail(made their money on how good #1 was), and counter-strike series is best shooter to ever be made, simple and involves skill to be good, not luck or stupid killstreak stuff

Anonymousca4

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I think that MW (PC online) Counterstrike, Battlefield, Tribes,Team fortress and Left for dead are all great games online, I really dont find them borring and they have steeplearning curves that make them never boring unlike Modern warfare 2 which is just run shoot kill,repeat,repeat,repeat untill you get a nuke, the best thing I want in a real life (not scifi,fantasy game) is accouscy refering to people contries and weapons, NO GUNS CALLED THE INTERVENTION or studid made up laguages and bad sterotypes

guitarpeggio

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]d_kuhn[/nom]What he should have said is "Console FPS games suck". Press button-go to cover, press button-stand up, move joystick to roughly the vicinity of what you want to shoot, press button-headshot! Yipee I ROCK![/citation]

Well, I play PC and console games and I find it much easier to get headshots with a mouse. I'm guessing you've not played much on consoles and are just a loudmouth fanboy.

TheAngryKip

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
My favourite FPS series has always been Timesplitters. I suppose it could be classed as sci-fi for the time traveling stuff that goes on but it was more of a comedy show than anything else. Unfortunately, all 3 games are on PS2 and are getting old.

Available weapons ranged from high-tech plasma guns to flare guns and crossbows. Playable characters included battle hardened soldiers, a giant humanoid duck, cyborgs, aliens, undead creatures, cirus actors, robots, and of course monkeys. You could design your own levels, and even build your own missions in a similar style to the main story mode levels. There were several different multiplayer modes to choose from, such as flame tag, capture the bag, deathmatch, assualt and the dreaded virus... *shudders*

Bring Timesplitters to the current gen consoles and I will be very happy.

TheAngryKip

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
My favourite FPS series has always been Timesplitters. I suppose it could be classed as sci-fi for the time traveling stuff that goes on but it was more of a comedy show than anything else. Unfortunately, all 3 games are on PS2 and are getting old.

Available weapons ranged from high-tech plasma guns to flare guns and crossbows. Playable characters included battle hardened soldiers, a giant humanoid duck, cyborgs, aliens, undead creatures, cirus actors, robots, and of course monkeys. You could design your own levels, and even build your own missions in a similar style to the main story mode levels. There were several different multiplayer modes to choose from, such as flame tag, capture the bag, deathmatch, assualt and the dreaded virus... *shudders*

Bring Timesplitters to the current gen consoles/PC and I will be very happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS