Diablo 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi people, quick question.
Has anyone come up with a solution to why Diablo 2 keeps crashing?
Those, o so helpfull people at Blizzard have tried but have now offered me my money back but i want to play the damn game!
Have tried all the help solutions on their website and am now trying to play in 2D with almost everything turned off!.
Hardware consists of NVidia GeForce card/SBLive card/K6-2 400/196Mb ram/IBM 7200rpm 10 Gb HD/Adaptec 2940UW SCSI card(for the Umax scanner)/Realtek RTL8029 Network card/Diamond 56k int modem on an Asus P5a M/B.
Cooling is handled by the usual collection of internal fans plus a 14" desk fan pointing into the side of the full tower.
The game has been patched for the latest release and all hardware drivers are upto date.

Can anyone suggest anything.....

Thanks

Rufus:)

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
sorry, the game does get a bit boring once you pass it, mine hasnt crashed once, not even on a pathetically slow pII 266 with 64 ram, i clocked it on a pIII 550 with 128 ram and it ran really smoothely, didnt crash once, i cant be the amd processor as it also ran without crashing on a athlon 850 perfectly, maybe it doesnt like the k6?

G

Did you install the latest AGP driver from ALi and the latest Detonator drivers?????

G

Yup,every last one.
Did i imagine it or did someone say there was a problem with Geforce and SBLive combinations?

Ho hum, the search continues....:)

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i've got an sblive and a geforece 256....seems to work fine together. however d3d doesn't work for me in diablo. when i run the vid test it says it should but then the actual game is uninteligable (kinda like my spelling). it works for me in 2d though. can't use perspective but that always gave me a headache anyway.

Magus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have almost the exact same setup as you do. I used to run D2 in Direct 3d. True it looked nice (in 640x480 res, I use that term loosly), but it ran like crap. This might change in DX8 and the new 7.17 drivers. Anyways, I run software by choice, because it runs Diablo 2 just as well as the original Diablo ran. No hard drive lag while Durial kills you 10 seconds before the room actually loads. Just my 2 cents. But at least turn perspective mode off, it makes the game look like you're fish-eyed, and it's horrible for fps.

What OS do you run?

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
win98. i don't have any lag and i guess it looks ok...i'd still just like to be able to run it in d3d, just 'cuz i should be able to.

Magus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you're running winMe, you might have a similar problem to what I had. I went back to 98se after D2 would crash upon trying to join a game, even after two clean installs. Heh, figure that one out :)

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
haven't had a chance to get dx8 yet. i'm going to but for different reasons. i wen't through diablo about as many times as i could stomach and uninstalled it.

Magus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try hardcore? :)
Only problem is dying to connection losses, nothing will piss you off more. Except maybe dropping a screw on your motherboard while it's on.

G

Win98 first ed, have tried second but didnt keep it on because the machine refused to shut down even with the shutdown patch from M/Soft.......ho hum

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think you may need a processor with a little more power is that an option? Your board will support the k63+ 450 that will run like a champ at 500 maybe even 550. the extra 256k of second level cache will help you emmensly.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.