Diagnosing your PC error !!!

Indiedude

Estimable
Jun 24, 2014
I have a Toshiba Satellite P855-S5312 Laptop and the other day I banged into the front part of the laptop(to the right of the mouse pad) and my laptop automatically shut off giving me a quick automatically repairing error and then switched over to "Diagnosing your PC" this would continue for around 10+ hours and then it would switch to a blue screen that said "Automatic Repair your PC didnot start correctly press restart to restart your PC which can sometimes fix the problem. You can also press advanced options to try other options to repair your PC" I tried both but one left me with a blank blue screen and the other left me with a blank black screen. I tried entering bios by pressing all available ways such as shift-f8 f1-12 delete etc... Any help is appreciated I do not want to bring this computer in for repair because I know they will snoop through my stuff and I do not want that , thanks Eric.

millwright

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Sounds like mechanical damage, just because of the way it happened.

If you know what brand hard drive you have, go to their sight and download their test disk.
Hard drive test disks are pretty reliable.
If it finds problems, believe it.

The first thing I would do is back up though.

millwright

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
First, computers don't need hard drives to Run.
I thought you said it started?
That's all you need.
If you have a CD/ROM it can run a computer with a bad hard drive.

You can load Linux to test the PC. Linux can backup if the hard drive isn't too dead
You can load the manufactures disk to test the hard drive.

My first PC had 2 Big Floppies, and no hard drive.

millwright

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
If you have a BOOT disk in the CD/ROM, and the BIOS is set to "boot from CD", it should boot the CD.
If that doesn't work disable the Hard Drive in the BIOS, and try again.
The Diagnostics are probably on the hard drive, and not the BOIS.
I've never heard of a diagnostic program stopping you from what you want to do.

millwright

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
On my Satellite you press F2 as soon as you start the computer.
Don't hold it down, just press it repeatedly a few times, so you don't miss the window.

It will say what to push, at the bottom of the screen.
I will call it "Set UP"