Did AOL Just Kill Its Instant Messenger Software AIM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I wish AIM would stay active forever. I keep it connected (via Pidgin) 24/7 in case some buds from back in the day want to hop on and see where the hell me or others are at.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Well considering every "update" to aim is practically destroying everything we loved and cherished about it.... there isn't much hope. Look at the the "new and updated" android / ios aim apps and compare them to the ones from 6-9 months ago........ you'll know what i mean. (i had to actually find an older version of the apk online for my GS2 cause the new one would crash / disconnected / force close and whatever)

G

Worldwide market share of Live Messenger is 47%? Aim is still better than Live Messenger, though nowadays I use Steam to chat lol.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Aol and HuffPo... two horrible companies that will die a horrible death together....

And whats worse... Arriana huffpoo turned the whole thing into a schoolyard class fight on top of the political BS that she spews non stop like a broken sewage line....
And no. She is not a liberal, or a democrat, or ever a repub... she swings faster than a strip dancer on a pole that was just paid a hundred bucks....

Long live....... oh, nevermind.... just die quickly AOL/HuffPo...

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Arriana huffpoo turned the whole thing into a schoolyard class fight on top of the political BS that she spews non stop like a broken sewage line....And no. She is not a liberal, or a democrat, or ever a repub... Oh, nevermind.... just die quickly AOL/HuffPo...[/citation]
Brain damaged? If its not either, perhaps its just news?

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
AOL hasn't even been worth anyone's time since it did away with the CAT. We're talking what, 10 years ago? Why the hell am I still using AOL E-mail? I guess I'm too lazy to change over.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]I can't believe that ICQ is still used. It had horrible security.[/citation]
I have the ICQ "uh oh" sound for incoming text messages! whenever someone hears that for the first time in years, it always sparks up a convo about the good ole days!

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I never used ICQ. I found it cumbersome on my older rigs. I didn't know many people who used it. However, I was hooked on AOL IM once I found out I didn't need AOL to chat with my AOL subscribed buddies.

I got so many people to use it too. I showed them how clean and solid AIM was (and back in the late 90's, it was THE most STABLE IM client available...

But once they upgraded their interface, one that was a resource HOG and contained obtrusive advertisements... I stopped using it.

When I found Google Chat (now Google Talk) I switched immediately. I tried to get people to switch, once they had Gmail accounts of their own, but people were set in their ways. It was AIM, or Yahoo! chat or nothing. Yahoo! chat I noticed had quite a following, one that I missed out on, but I only used it for school projects where I needed to work on the whiteboard remotely.

However, once Facebook became ubiquitous, all bets were off. People switched en masse to Facebook Messenger, despite how horrible it was, and apparently, still is.

I am glad that, for the most part, Google Talk still works with AIM. However, since Facebook Newsfeed (and the introduction of non-college students) to Facebook, I have reduced my usage drastically. I now no longer even have Facebook active on my new Android Phone. When I had Blackberry, I actually had a short resurgence, as BB is the only OS to fully integrate their FB client with the rest of their software. But in the end, I don't want to be given important invitations and communication via FB. I don't want chats from my FB friends. It is there if I need it.

Unlimited SMS texting from my no-contract Virgin Mobile phone... That is my main communication now. It is fairly reliable, instant, and doesn't crash my phone/computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.