Solved! Did something to my laptop while trying to clean it, not sure what I just did...

Aug 14, 2020
Just to get it said and out of the way: Yes, I’m an idiot. And yes, this was probably really dangerous. I’ll learn from this mistake, at least!

I was cleaning out some dust around the hinges of my laptop with a wooden toothpick, and mistook the screen cable for a thick clump of dust or something. Thinking it must’ve gotten stuck under something, I had the bright idea to grab a curved metal needle for sewing & hook the clump to pull it out. Except the clump was a cable & I actually just stabbed it, which caused the laptop to immediately shut off (it was plugged into the charger & turned on playing a video during this).

I didn’t feel a shock or anything from the needle when it happened. The laptop won’t turn on at all now, though, no lights or anything. A friend told me it might just be that the screen cable needs to be replaced now that there’s a hole in it, but wouldn’t the light on the power button & charger still turn on if that were the case?

Lenovo Ideapad Y700 Touch-15isk

Solution
I agree. I'm pretty sure you damaged more than just the cable. I would advise sending it to the Lenovo service center where they have the proper diagnostic equipment to deal with this. I really doubt you can fix it yourself (or a local repair shop can either). Likely they will replace both the MB and the cable. I hope you have a backup. I've dealt with a couple of vendors and machines come back with a new windows install. If you are adept, it's fairly easy to pull the HD and using a USB adapter, copy off the data.
I agree. I'm pretty sure you damaged more than just the cable. I would advise sending it to the Lenovo service center where they have the proper diagnostic equipment to deal with this. I really doubt you can fix it yourself (or a local repair shop can either). Likely they will replace both the MB and the cable. I hope you have a backup. I've dealt with a couple of vendors and machines come back with a new windows install. If you are adept, it's fairly easy to pull the HD and using a USB adapter, copy off the data.

Solution
It may be cheaper to just buy a used working laptop of the same model than have someone replace the motherboard for you, since you also need the screen cable replaced. Part and labor to do the work and you still will have a system with replaced parts. If you get the same model system you can just swap your drive into that one without issues.