Did SQL server needs more Clock speed or multi cores

advtnaveen

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Hi

I am going upgrade my pc, and i mostly use SQL server 2010 and Visual studio .So can u tell me ,did these software's use multi cores efficiently and did i need to choose CPU's with more clock speed.

Which CPU can be better for these work from these ,

AMD phenom II x4 980 BE
AMD APU A8-3870k(because i play moderate games)
Intel I3 2100

Thanks for your Valuable comments in Advance :)

Solution
Databases are generally one of the few disk intensive programs out there, so they will be most responsive to the speed of the HDD. A compiler like VisualStudio would be CPU and RAM that you want to worry about. I haven't kept up with a lot of the advancements in VisualStudio for the past 6-7 years, but it does seem like they have been making a pretty big investment in making sure that it is able to make good use of multi-core CPUs. However, compiling a program is kind of an odd ball. For bigger programs with a large number of source files, you'd probably be better off with more cores, but if you only have a handful of source files, you would want clock speed.

wombat_tg

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
I'd get the i3 because it's current socket (1155) wheras the 980 is previous generation socket (AM3). This gives you a better upgrade path for the next 12-18 months.

I wouldn't bother with the A8. The i3 will eat it for lunch.

All are 4 cores. The clockspeeds aren't vast enough to make any real difference.

cl-scott

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
Databases are generally one of the few disk intensive programs out there, so they will be most responsive to the speed of the HDD. A compiler like VisualStudio would be CPU and RAM that you want to worry about. I haven't kept up with a lot of the advancements in VisualStudio for the past 6-7 years, but it does seem like they have been making a pretty big investment in making sure that it is able to make good use of multi-core CPUs. However, compiling a program is kind of an odd ball. For bigger programs with a large number of source files, you'd probably be better off with more cores, but if you only have a handful of source files, you would want clock speed.

Solution