Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 & .NET and CPU HyperThread

andrern2000

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
I plan to upgrade my rig as for gaming, maybe 2500K or 2600K. However, my other purpose is for programming. Will Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 use Hyperthreading provided by 2600K so all 8 threads is fully used? And will .NET 2003 also?
...Or it is not using 8 threads, so better choose 2500K?

Or perhaps using previous versions of Visual Studio that has speedier performance? I prefer speed over features, so having VB6.0 with simple UI but speedier compiling is preferred over MS VS 2009 here using old rig.

Solution
I'm not sure that the complexity of the UI has any effect on the compile time. In my experience Visual Studio compiles as fast, if not faster, in its present incarnation than previous versions. In any case, compiling the most complex programs takes a very short time; the actual compilation is a very small part of the total development time.

As for .NET - if you write the programs to be muti-threaded then they will be; if you don't, they won't. It's a function of the program not the Framework.

Go for whatever is best for the games that you wish to run. It will be more than fast enough for development work unless you plan on creating the next version of Windows.

Ijack

Distinguished
I'm not sure that the complexity of the UI has any effect on the compile time. In my experience Visual Studio compiles as fast, if not faster, in its present incarnation than previous versions. In any case, compiling the most complex programs takes a very short time; the actual compilation is a very small part of the total development time.

As for .NET - if you write the programs to be muti-threaded then they will be; if you don't, they won't. It's a function of the program not the Framework.

Go for whatever is best for the games that you wish to run. It will be more than fast enough for development work unless you plan on creating the next version of Windows.

Solution

andrern2000

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

I have tested compiling in the VC9.0 IDE and compared it with VC6.0. The Run command in VC6.0 loads faster than VC9.0. Maybe because of this un-needed eccentric graphical UI that weighed more to CPU load.

Thanks for this. But I mean the compiler if we run .NET compiling, would the compiling done using 2, or 4 threads or 8 threads?

LMAO next version of Windows? that sounds dreamy but yummy

smarty22331

Distinguished
May 19, 2011

hi
Don't purchase 2500k becasue 2500k is not supported visual studio 2010.
and intel other series are supported instead of 'k' series.