difficulties on a rootkit

Arkamore

Estimable
Jan 16, 2016
so im browsing the web and i go to YouTube to watch some videos and ads play in the background (ads are not on YouTube). these ads don't show up in task manager and the program that is running these ads don't show in program manager and uninstaller. im left to assume this is a root kit and its using internet explorer 11. Also, it will only run ads when its connected to internet source. another thing that's really irritating is that when ever i try to get rid of it by downloading an anti virus program, it wont display the page because the root kit will filter it. not entirely sure were this thing came from but i want it gone. i went ahead an disabled internet explorer 11 so that it cant use it and so far it worked, but its still there and that's a problem for full PC performance. is there anyway to remove it manually without doing a complete clean install of windows 10?

Solution
D
Other than using a flash drive to try and install an antivirus program your best bet is a clean install. Never seen anyone get anything malicious from youtube though. Usually the only way to get something like that is downloading pirated content or cracked programs.

Arkamore

Estimable
Jan 16, 2016
thats the problem, it wont display the page at all. instead it will say "The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred." im thinking the root kit is blocking or filtering this content

D

Deleted member 217926

Other than using a flash drive to try and install an antivirus program your best bet is a clean install. Never seen anyone get anything malicious from youtube though. Usually the only way to get something like that is downloading pirated content or cracked programs.

Solution