Digital Coaxial Cable Input To AV Receiver

tedzbear

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
I have a Yamaha RX-V1400 AV receiver that was built before HDMI cables. I just bought a new Panasonic Plasma TV which I will connect to my BD Player with a HDMI cable. I already connect a digital coaxial cable from BD Player to DVD coaxial cable input jack on Yamaha receiver. I also want to connect audio from the TV directly to the Yamaha receiver in case I want to download movies from Netflix using the TV's WiFi.

The Yamaha receiver only has DTV optical cable R L audio input jacks. It doesn't have a DTV coaxial cable input jack. Can I connect a coaxial cable from the TV to the CD or DVR/VCR2 coaxial cable input jacks? Will the receiver know where the audio signal is coming from and not play it?

If I can't use a coaxial cable I'll use optical cable. I just can't afford to buy a new AV receiver right now since I just bought this new TV.

Thanks for your help.

:??:

cin19

Distinguished
you can. That is the way before we have the HDMI port.

you can connect the TV program cable to the DVR/VCR input (I don't try it through the CD player), then other cable (output in DVR/VCR) go to TV input port for the video, then use optical cable connect between the DVR/VCR and AV receiver for the sound.

But each time you have to turn on the DVR/VCR too. And you need to set up something like channel 3 or 4 for watch the TV.

Your receiver seems to have plenty of optical inputs so just run a Toslink optical cable from the TV to the receiver. You could also use this connection for the Bluray player.
Check the TV audio menu and set it so you will get surround sound. The HDMI video connections go directly to the TV so you will get the best picture quality.

Notechtouch

Estimable
Apr 12, 2015

Notechtouch

Estimable
Apr 12, 2015