Digital Rebel won't autofocus

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJV

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I have been using my Digital Rebel for a little over 2 years. It suddenly stopped autofocusing. With autofocus on it just searches back and forth and never locks focus. I've tried using different lenses but this happens no matter what lens I attach. Does anyone know what the problem might be and how I can fix it?

shakkabrah

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I have a Canon EOS rebel and just this weekend the same thing started happening. The autofocus was working in the morning then I went to use the camera in the afternoon and it wouldnt autofocus...

cynewulf

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
It's likely that your AF sensors need a clean.

Either take the camera to a professional cleaner or do what I did and clean it yourself using a bulb blower.

The AF sensor is at the bottom of the camera below the mirror. If you lock the mirror up then you should be able to get a blower in there. It helps if you hold the camera with the sensor facing downwards to let the dust drop out.

Be careful in there though as the mirror assembly is easily damaged.

[EDIT : Oops didn't spot I was dredging up an old post until it was too late. Sorry about that!]

azgman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
Hey no problem about your post, it is timely as my camera just started doing the same thing while on vacation. I will try this and hope it works, its a pain to manual focus all the time,..
thanks a bunch...

[EDIT : Oops didn't spot I was dredging up an old post until it was too late. Sorry about that!][/quotemsg]

G

It could also be that your auto focus has got set to only one point. This was what fixed it for me. Look for a button that has a box containing 5 dashes in a cross pattern, press it and then rotate the dial until all 7 autofocus points are lit in red.

Not much point in replying to a 3 year old post.....Moderator.

Status
Not open for further replies.