directing audio output

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I've been to a house where a single computer could actually direct audio outputs to specific rooms of the house, while sending another output to a different room simultaneously without the sound overlapping in the speakers.

I was wondering how this was possible; and if there is a reasonable priced way of doing it myself. Even if you don't have an answer, a point in the right direction would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for any possible help.

strangestranger

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
hmm, not too sure but you would need media streamers to do that. I can send sound to a different room using my sqeezebox but that is limited to music on my harddrive. However, you can get some which will output anything.

as always with these questions i would direct you to http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=332

more likely to find the answer in this forum, just search first and you should come up with something.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Directing audio output is possible by the use of Professional Sound Card and/or good Software, assigning different channels to certain outputs. But that’s probably not what is in your mind.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
sorry it took so long to respond, but that sounds perfect. is there always a way i can direct video output using the same concept?

I'm going to do a little research on this, thanks.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Yes it could, but it offers less control over the actual output then I'm looking for. A NAS would be a good start, and I have considered it for some time; yet I would like to eventually control each speaker individually, or each set of speakers individually from a computer connected to the network.