DirecTV Genie --> TV Optical --> Marantz 7012 5.1 no rear speaker sound

Feb 22, 2018
I am racking my brains here. My configuration is in the subject but I'll repeat.

DirecTV Genie (latest, just installed) to TV via HDMI. Then I go TV to Marantz receiver (SR7012) with Optical for audio.

I've got a powered sub, a center, 2 fronts, 2 surrounds and 2 back surrounds all connected properly. They work and sound fine when doing the receiver's tests.

Problem: Whether I stream via Netflix on the TV or watch Direct TV programming, using 5.1 output from either, the back channels don't work. I've "told" the receiver that I've got the rear surrounds and want them to work when using 5.1. My old Yamaha was able to do this. I won't go back to the Yamaha because the sound this Marantz puts out is noticably light years ahead.

That said, when I change the output to "standard" (not 5.1) from any input source, those back speakers play but it sounds like it's all just flowing through not in stereo (no true surround).

Any ideas here?

Solution
Assuming that the set up is correct try changing the surround mode on the Marantz receiver. Page 305-6 of the manual gives you all the permutations of audio codec for channel output.
http://www.us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers&SubCatId=0&ProductId=SR7012
Isn't it amazing how much difference an AVR that pays attention to sound quality can make. The Marantz has much higher quality power amps than most receivers. It drives speakers better and louder than the power spec would indicate.
The detailed and smooth quality to the sound is easily heard on movies and music. Better DACs and preamp circuitry do that.
Assuming that the set up is correct try changing the surround mode on the Marantz receiver. Page 305-6 of the manual gives you all the permutations of audio codec for channel output.
http://www.us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers&SubCatId=0&ProductId=SR7012
Isn't it amazing how much difference an AVR that pays attention to sound quality can make. The Marantz has much higher quality power amps than most receivers. It drives speakers better and louder than the power spec would indicate.
The detailed and smooth quality to the sound is easily heard on movies and music. Better DACs and preamp circuitry do that.

Solution
Feb 22, 2018
I feel really stupid. I didn't even think to try the other sound modes. I have been looking through the user guide and after you sent me back to those pages, it all clicked. So I went to a different surround mode and immediately was hearing it all correctly.

And wow - yes, it's amazing. This is my first foray into the "next tier," and I'm hoping this thing lasts me quite a few years. Now I'm going to have to upgrade my speakers, I guess. But boy did this thing ever make my old speakers sound new.

One other comment...when the DirecTV guy showed up he tried to convince me that his Sonos system sounds "just as good." I've heard Sonos surround...it is N-O-T-H-I-N-G like this. The room SHAKES, with zero distortion or hiss, during action movies. Love it!

Thanks again.

Feb 22, 2018
I’m getting an hdcp error from the directv receiver. Won’t pass the signal through to the Marantz.