Disabling 1 laptop fan.

kuulkev

Prominent
Nov 5, 2017
Lenovo Y50-70 laptop, 2.5 years old, no warranty. It has 2 fans, a small one and a big one in the same assembly.

Small one has a bad ball bearing, so it vibrates my whole laptop when it starts spinning and makes a bad grinding noise.

When I play video games or whatever and heat up my laptop, the big fan turns on and the small fan turns off, so my laptop stops vibrating and the grinding noise stops.

What is the best way/safest way to disable the small fan completely? Tried SpeedFan and HWMonitor and neither can seem to detect my fans. I will be getting another fan later, but would like something as a temporary fix (since running games in the background 24/7 for the big fan isn't that feasible).

Solution
Best way is to replace the fan not disable it. If you want to disable it, cut the power wires going to that fan. Keep in mind you can damage the system by doing this. Better to buy a fan now and swap it first unless you want to take a chance to damaging your laptop.
Best way is to replace the fan not disable it. If you want to disable it, cut the power wires going to that fan. Keep in mind you can damage the system by doing this. Better to buy a fan now and swap it first unless you want to take a chance to damaging your laptop.

Solution