Disabling RAID-0 on ASUS ROG G701VIK-GB040R

Threepou

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
Hey there,

The ASUS ROG G701VIK-GB040R seems to suit most of my needs from the given specs. Before buying, I would like a confirmation, that the two installed SSD can be used with disabled RAID - as I need to have two OS installed. Some threats point out, that this could be a problem with the todays ASUS BIOS. Any hints or experience with this issue is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
If your motherboard is controlling the RAID0 you shouldn't need to disable it to run multiple operating systems. If its a Software RAID You might. Depending on your needs, you might be able to run a different OS in windows using VirtualBox. It will share system resources, but if you have a good CPU with lots of Cores, Lots of RAM, and SSD RAID it shouldnt be a problem for productivity apps. Games is another matter.

I am currently running Windows 10 and Windows 7 in virtualbox on a different desktop. I have more than 10 other operating systems I can run in virtualbox from Windows. Even playing old dos 6.22 games in virtualbox with windows 10.

Motherboards by default dont generally force you to use raid0, so its likely someone had...

itsVance

Estimable
Jun 17, 2014
If your motherboard is controlling the RAID0 you shouldn't need to disable it to run multiple operating systems. If its a Software RAID You might. Depending on your needs, you might be able to run a different OS in windows using VirtualBox. It will share system resources, but if you have a good CPU with lots of Cores, Lots of RAM, and SSD RAID it shouldnt be a problem for productivity apps. Games is another matter.

I am currently running Windows 10 and Windows 7 in virtualbox on a different desktop. I have more than 10 other operating systems I can run in virtualbox from Windows. Even playing old dos 6.22 games in virtualbox with windows 10.

Motherboards by default dont generally force you to use raid0, so its likely someone had to configure that one for raid0. You should be able to go into your BIOS to set them back to individual drives, but doing so would cause you to lose all of your data.

Solution

jwalrath

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a g701vik and I believe you cannot install any OS that doesnt support the software raid. I have tried for months installing Linux and Linux cannot see the drives even when RAID0 disabled. The BIOS does not have any AHCI or SATA settings when the drives are not RAIDED. The only way I can run Linux on it is with an external drive connected to the USB-C and Linux installed on that. Everything I have read says until ASUS adds something to the BIOS it will stay this way. There are a couple of Lenovo laptops in the same boat.