Disabling the scroll feature on touchpad

Sparkletwin

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
Hello,

I have a new Samsung notebook, and the touch pad has, to me at least, a very annoying feature, SCROLLING. According to the handbook, this is on the right-hand side of the touch pad, but I've found it happening just about anywhere, at any time. I never used a mouse with a scrolling wheel, and I've no use for the feature now. I just want rid! Thanks, Sandi

Sparkletwin

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011

I tried that, and no joy. Samsung must think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, cos I can't find it anywhere on their site either

Pyree

Distinguished
Have you tried unticking vertical scrolling? Also the software for the track pad, there should be options for enabling/disabling features there. Its a pain not to have those settings. My tips to you are based on my laptop which is different so things will be different, but I really wasn't expecting no option for users to disable feature.

Sparkletwin

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
The only options I can see are to alter the speed of scrolling, and I don't know enough about the things to go fiddling with the settings. Nothing to uncheck at all. Guess I'll have to put up with it, or bite the bullet and phone Samsung. Probably get connected to a call-centre in Outer Mongolia or somewhere...

Thanks anyway :)

Ginevra House

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
Hi there,

I was just experiencing the same difficulty with my Toshiba touchpad, which was flinging me left, right up and down all over the spreadsheet I was working on. I followed the initial instructions to open the Mouse Properties window and found the same problem as @Sparkletwin - that you could change the speed of the scrolling but not disable it.

In irritation I started clicking on everything, including double clicking "Scrolling" in the left-hand menu on the Mouse Properties window.

Like magic, some further options appeared, for one-finger and two-finger scrolling. Clicking on "one-finger scrolling" took me to a window where I could disable vertical and horizontal scrolling.

Hope this of help to others.

Ginevra

PepperShirtGuy

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014
Yeah, its super anoying.

To fix it go to your control panel and search for mouse. When it comes up, one of the tabs at the top is for ELAN. Chose that. Then you see a window and it will list Elan smart pad. Highlight that and then chose "options". This brings up a new window that gives you several options. One of these is Edge Scroll. You can turn it off there.

Hope this helps!

feralhassan

Estimable
Jul 23, 2014
Hi
I've got a Samsung NC10 and I've just managed to find the solution (I think). Sorry if I'm repeating something that someone else has already posted. It goes something like this:
START (bottom left-hand corner)
CONTROL PANEL
PRINTERS AND OTHER HARDWARE
MOUSE
DEVICE SETTINGS
SETTINGS
VIRTUAL SCROLLING (on left-hand side)
Remove ticks from options that are ticked (Enable vertical scrolling / Enable horizontal scrolling) and Apply.
BOB SHOULD BE YOUR UNCLE.

It worked for me and hopefully will work for you.
Feral

mreckards

Estimable
Aug 2, 2014
I finaly found how to diable that annoying scroll feature on my Toshiba Laptop. In the right hand lower corner I have a icon named
Synaptics Pointing Devise. I right clicked and the "Tap to Click" option was check marked, unchecked it and now fixed.
Hope it helps.

Dick Cheney

Estimable
Aug 13, 2014

Oh thank heavens, that seems to have finally done it! This has been bugging me for years.... I'm butterfingers enough without my touchpad 'helping' me ;-)

tentones

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

Paman96

Estimable
Dec 29, 2014
This worked great on my on my new Toshiba, Many Thanks!