Solved! Dissapointing 5.1 Surround in Windows 10

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Hello, this is my first time using surround sound basically, and with a PC. Please bear with me if I left out some info.

My motherboard is capable of up to 7.1 surround sound. Currently I am trying to use it for 5.1. I have a 5.1 speaker set.
Using Windows 10 Home

Speakers: BeFree Sound 125 Watt 5.1 Surround System
Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar - MATX

So the speakers are set to 5.1, and I have it configured that way in the sound control panel in Windows.
In configure, all speakers appear to be working properly.

When playing back sound, the sound is crap, tinny and no bass. It appears only the front left and right are being utilized.
I have to switch to stereo 2.1 to get any bass.

UPDATE - Still no solution! One user suggested below that it could be the speaker system but from the reviews I saw, no one complains about this issue. Not sure what is going on here? Or is 5.1 surround just crap quality (pretty new to surround myself)

Really frustrating

Is this because my speakers are sub par? I'm not understanding what the issue is.

Solution
It won't do crap unless whatever you are playing contain surround track. I hope it wasn't utube 'cuz it's all stereo no matter what it says.

I suggest use VLC, where u can verify that indeed whatever playing has a surround track and select that. An actually optical disc dvd/br will do nicely, do make sure over audio setup, dolby/dts is selected.
It won't do crap unless whatever you are playing contain surround track. I hope it wasn't utube 'cuz it's all stereo no matter what it says.

I suggest use VLC, where u can verify that indeed whatever playing has a surround track and select that. An actually optical disc dvd/br will do nicely, do make sure over audio setup, dolby/dts is selected.

Solution

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

Okay I'll try that. I'll have to use Lenwo BR player because I could never get bluray to work in VLC

Shouldn't somewhat modern games be utilizing the surround setup correctly? Like Skyrim and Witcher 3

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

Tried on Leawo Blu Ray Player, even set everything to 5.1 surround on the player, played a BluRay, set speakers to 5.1, set Windows sound to 5.1, still CRAP. Just playing out the front two speakers. Maybe these "surround" speakers are just pieces of junk

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

I'm connecting analog, with 3.5 mm from PC, to RCA to speakers audio cables. One for each output on the motherboard, front speakers, center/sub, and surround speakers.

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

Got a link to a review? Seems like these are just really expensive 2.1 speakers, at least that's all they're good for. What pieces of junk. Good thing I got these from Fingerhut.

Can anyone suggest an affordable (within 200 dollar) decent surround speaker system that utilizes bass in surround?

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

Surround tracks seem to work but just seems like it's mixed poorly, like the bass is only used ONLY when a signal is sent to the subwoofer.

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

I listed the motherboard and speaker system sorry if there was a lot of text and it got lost here it is again

Speakers: BeFree Sound 125 Watt 5.1 Surround System
Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar - MATX