Distorted sound from Center Channel Sony STR-K502P

dmcclelland1

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Hey guys I am having problems with my receiver and being a complete dummy with home audio I thought I would post here.

My setup isn't the best, have to finish paying for school before I can actually buy a nice system, but I have a somewhat put together system via craigslist. I recently (2 months ago) bought a Sony STR-K502P off craigslist. It had been working perfectly well until today. There is extremely distorted sound coming out of the center channel. I have switched the center speaker to the left/right and each of the right/left speakers to the center to confirm that it was the channel. The center speaker puts out sound in any other terminal other than the center, and the other speakers do not work in the center channel.

It makes a sound similar to if there was a loose wire connection, almost like an FM station that isn't quite coming in. There is a lot of static and you can hear what is supposed to be the sound coming through, but it is extremely distorted. There was nothing out of the ordinary when I used the system at 10PM last night, but by 7PM tonight the problem was occuring. There was no popping noises, crackling, or anything else from the receiver to indicate some sort of power problem. There has also been no power interruptions/surges in the house as I have a UPS for my computer in another room that logs any disturbances in power.

I was hoping that you guys might have some suggestions for what to check in the receiver, or possible solutions to fix the center channel terminal on the receiver. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks guys!

dmcclelland1

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007

bump