Ditching the Kit lens, what to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WWBD

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
So I'm going to go ahead and buy a Canon T1i as my first DSLR. After reading some of the reviews, I'm thinking of buying the body only model (saving $100) and buying a separate lens instead. I would only like to spend $100-150 on the lens. My purposes will be to take general snapshots, especially shots of my newborn (relatively close-up). Portrait photography (headshots) would be a secondary purpose, but I'm not sure if I can get a good lens for that in my price range. Is my best bet to stick with the 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 lens that comes standard? Or is there a better lens out there for me? Thanks!

Solution

it might take you some time, but if you are not sure what lens is best for you, go here

www.the-digital-picture.com...

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001

it might take you some time, but if you are not sure what lens is best for you, go here

www.the-digital-picture.com

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=675&Camera=474&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=455&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

you can compare on lens to another by mousing over the image.

they give extensive reviews for many lenses.

as for the price you are looking for, i doubt you can find anything for $100-150, at all... aside from kit lenses.

Now for kit lenses you have options... all to often stores will change the kit lens from the 18-55 to the 18-200, to the 18-55 and 55-200 or the 18-135... prices change a little when they do this, but only 100-200ish.

good lens's that are considered affordable are usually $500-$1000 Pro lens's are usually $800+ and can be still reasonable in price to astronomical in price... but are often specialized, so they wouldn't interest you anyway.

If i could recommend any lenses, i would suggest the following.

Sigma/canon 18-200. so many reasons to choose this lens.

or
canon 18-135, canon 15-55

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.