DivX Overhaul Brings Free 1080 HD Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
What is DivX? Why is it necessary? Is there something wrong with playing AVIs with VLC? Oh well, I probably have zero uses for this anyway.

si7entsam

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
[citation][nom]idisarmu[/nom]What is DivX? Why is it necessary? Is there something wrong with playing AVIs with VLC? Oh well, I probably have zero uses for this anyway.[/citation]
Smaller file that looks almost exactly the same quality, that's what's good about it.

lukeeu

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I've got interested by this and visited their site. All they did was move from mpeg4 ASP to mpeg4 AVC and from avi to mkv and put their logo on it. Oh... and they want 20$ for creating 720p and 1080p after 15day trial. I think they are a few years too late now when there are tons of freeware based on x264, but the DivX brand is still worth something.

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I just downloaded this and tried to play movies I recorded with my 3GS, and every time I opened one, vista would say the program stopped working. But this didn't happen with any other video, only the MP4s from my phone, not other MP4s. What the hell is going on?

skittle

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
This is dumb, x264 and mkvtoolnix have been providing this functionality for YEARS for FREE. The only good that will come out of this is maybe more devices will get h264 and mkv support (xbox, ps3 im looking at you)

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]skittle[/nom]This is dumb, x264 and mkvtoolnix have been providing this functionality for YEARS for FREE. The only good that will come out of this is maybe more devices will get h264 and mkv support (xbox, ps3 im looking at you)[/citation]
x264 and mkvtoolsnix are without question more feature complete and offer tons more options, but they are not geared towards the average user who doesn't have the knowledge needed to take advantage of them. Things like DivX are there, in part, to help fill that void and enable average users to have some of the same capabilities.

fwupow

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
Yeah, but think of those poor DivX wretches! x264 came along and wiped them clean off into obsolescence. They've got nothing now. They're living on cat-food and rainwater caught in a bucket from the gutters on their 6-month rental office. Their only hope is to take somebody else's free stuff and charge money for it. Have a heart!

skittle

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
[citation][nom]ravewulf[/nom]x264 and mkvtoolsnix are without question more feature complete and offer tons more options, but they are not geared towards the average user who doesn't have the knowledge needed to take advantage of them. Things like DivX are there, in part, to help fill that void and enable average users to have some of the same capabilities.[/citation]

They have these things called "gui" for the people who cant work the CLI

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
If you want encode, try HandBrake for MP4 or MKV. Free.

I feel like DivX is out of the loop long time ago.
What is the point to pay for something free ?
If you really need a divx codec I just recommand Xvid (free).

toastninja17... it's normal the thing doesn't work ON YOUR iPhone! Apple don't use any standard fully. Too bad for you! You should know that. Your problem is Apple not Divx.

razorblaze42

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
[citation][nom]toastninja17[/nom]I just downloaded this and tried to play movies I recorded with my 3GS, and every time I opened one, vista would say the program stopped working. But this didn't happen with any other video, only the MP4s from my phone, not other MP4s. What the hell is going on?[/citation]
the answer is in the question.... "Vista"

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
Ripbot is awsome

I no longer need to fool with my DVD and Blueray collection.

I really hate going to the shelf to find an empty movie box or the wrong movie.

now i ripped them all and they are on my windows media center box!!!!!

G

Hey Guys,
Just to clarify, DivX Plus Converter will continue to create DivX Plus HD files (MKV/H.264/AAC) with HD and surround sound for free even after the 15-day trial. The parts that get locked after the trial are pro settings around the DivX codec, not H.264. Also, the DivX Plus Codec Pack includes a free H.264 decoder, which is one of the fastest out there, and now has an option for DXVA hardware acceleration on supported cards. Also, the DivX Plus Player includes free transfer to optical discs or USB via DivX to Go, which means it'll transcode FOR FREE to match the profile of your DivX certified device, be it DivX (.divx/.avi) or DivX Plus HD (H.264/MKV). Feel free to hit us up at DivX Labs (http://labs.divx.com) if you have any other questions.
--porfitron

DigitAl56K

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Wanted to add a couple of things :)

We like x264 ;) We even have a guide on our website for using it to encode DivX Plus video:

http://developer.divx.com/docs/divx_plus_hd/Creation_with_x264/

If you are interested in enabling hardware accelerated H.264 decoding in any of your DirectShow media players, even on XP or Vista, check out this walk-through that helps you check your system's capabilities, configure the DivX H.264 Decoder, and verify that DirectShow is loading it:

http://labs.divx.com/DivX-H264-Decoder-DXVA

Also check out DivX Web Player 2.0.2 which lets you serve DivX (.avi, .divx) and DivX Plus (.mkv) files from any regular web server just by pasting some embed code in your page. With DivX Plus support you can now have up to 1080p video with surround sound and subtitles playing embedded in your browser, windowed, or full-screen, as well as the option to save files once they are fully cached. In version 2 you can also seek ahead of the buffer for a more streaming-like experience. Check out our demo and try generating some embed code of your own:

http://labs.divx.com/WebPlayer
http://labs.divx.com/WebPlayerCodeGenerator

Have fun,

- Al / DivX

Status
Not open for further replies.