Solved! Do All Computer Devices Have a "Back" Function?

Jun 15, 2018
Do all computers, notebooks, smart phones, e-readers, etc. have a “back” function? In other words, if you click on a link, is there a back function that will return you to the link rather than having a return link? I am creating an ebook in which I have a LOT of hyperlinks, with numerous cross-references, so a single return link won’t work. If every device has a back function, does this obviate the need for a return link? If so, is there any problem with this solution, over a direct return link, that I can’t see? Seems too perfect a solution to be true.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

David

Solution
In response to your question:
"Do All Computer Devices Have a "Back" Function?"

No.
My USB sticks do not have a "back" function.
Nor does a DVD.

You're actually asking..
"Do All Computer operating systems (or relevant applications) Have a "Back" Function?"

Again, no, not "all".
But the general use consumer grade ones probably do.
If you create "ebook", that "ebook" must be read with an application which can display it. It is up to this application to have (or not) "back" function.

You're mentioning "hyperlinks". If you read your ebooks in a browser - popular browsers do have "back" function.

Jun 15, 2018
Thanks, Alabalcho, for your prompt reply. That makes sense. I have both Kindle and ibooks, and the back function is a function of the app. Is it safe to assume that all ebook-reading apps have that function?

USAFRet

Illustrious
In response to your question:
"Do All Computer Devices Have a "Back" Function?"

No.
My USB sticks do not have a "back" function.
Nor does a DVD.

You're actually asking..
"Do All Computer operating systems (or relevant applications) Have a "Back" Function?"

Again, no, not "all".
But the general use consumer grade ones probably do.

Solution
Jun 15, 2018
Thanks, USAFRet,

I saved a large Word file with a lot of links to pdf using https://www.freepdfconvert.com/ , and the links work, which don't when I save as a pdf from Word. I opened it in Chrome, and again the links work great, but the browser back function is grayed out. I don't know how I would save a Kindle or iBooks ebook to pdf. As to whether "all" devices have a back function, I guess I really only need to concern myself with ereader apps.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Hard links is not the same as "back".

Jun 15, 2018
USAFRet,
From my perspective, "hard link" and "back" is a distinction without a difference: two different methods of returning to the originating link. As far as converting an ebook to a pdf and opening in a browser, unless the back function works, it doesn't solve the problem. But if all ereader apps have a back function (and it's hard to imagine any don't), problem solved. If anyone knows of an app that doesn't, I would surely appreciate knowing.

Many thanks,

David

USAFRet

Illustrious

Back means 'where I just came from'. The browser or application remembers this.
A hard link could go to anywhere. www.cnn.com, for instance. Or the authors home on facebook.

Jun 15, 2018
Yes, I'm aware of that. But in the instance I speak of, "back" to "where I just came from" and the hark link both return you to the same point, so it doesn't matter which you choose, assuming you have a choice, which is the point of my original post. Because a hard link is hardwired to one location, it can't take you to other cross-referenced locations, so I need to resort to the back function (if there is one) to return you to whichever one you linked from.