Do cell phones really cost that much?

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I was just wonder what anyone else thinks about this.

Has any one ever looked at the costs of a phone with out a contract?

Take the iphone for example.
A 16GB iphone without a contract is $650
with the contract is $200
So my cell phone company is paying 450 for my phone. Well isn't that nice of them.
Then I started to think well the 16GB itouch is $200, isn't that the exact same thing just with out the phone stuff inside?

So are they saying that is cost $450 to put a cell phone stuff inside the phone?

Considering I can buy 2 and 1/4 of an ipod touch for the same price I can buy 1 set of cell phone parts, I think that is kinda ridiculous. Plus Apple is still making money selling at $200
I think someone is making some insane profits selling the $450 cell phone parts. Bet it only cost them under $5 to make them to.

In $650 phones it costs $200-300 to make depending on specifics.

You pay full price for the phone anyways. Its worked into your plan monthly. Dont figure youare making out.

They might be similar but one is designed to be a phone, the other is not. Phone pricing is high across the board but it could be much worse.

michaelmouse

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Apple may have the honors for the "Most Greedy Company" on Planet Earth. How green is that? [envious]. Right up there is Gaagle and the list goes on. But you will not see that in the media because they are making money off their advertising. read: part of the problem....