Do downloaded games work on Thinkpad?

mintmix

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
I downloaded a game from a site, and I opened the file to start playing. The graphics were patchy, the game wouldnt work on my Thinkpad laptop. I play downloaded games and was wondering if I could do something to make them work on Thinkpad.

Solution
Problem is there are probably many different edge models. I think the bios might have the model number in there. Here is a review of one edge unit.

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-edge-13/4505-3121_7-33939705.html

Problem is two fold. First, the CPU is an "ULV" or Ultra Low Voltage C2D. It runs at a really low 1.3GHz (as they tested it, yours might be different.) and is a dual core model. A 1.3GHz C2D will be rather slow. Second, this one uses the Intel onboard 4500M. This is a really low end GPU/IGP. You would get upgraded drivers from Intel's website, but my gut says your laptop just isn't good enough to handle these games.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Bigfish... Sigh. My ex spent way to much time there...

Look on the bottom of the laptop, any model numbers there? I'm really just trying to figure out how much ram you have, what CPU and GPU, etc. You wouldn't think it, but some of those flash games can use a lot of ram and CPU power. If you have an older single core thinkpad with little ram, that's your problem.

If you want to try some things that don't cost money, grab a good antivirus and make sure you don't have a virus on your PC. Avira, AVG, etc. You can also try upgrading your GPU drivers. (newest versions of flash is supposed to support GPU acceleration.) While you're at it make sure flash is up to date. Finally, with the laptop off and unplugged flip it over and remove the bottom panel. This should give you access to the heatsinks and fan(s). Make sure they are free of dust. See if any of that helps things run better.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Problem is there are probably many different edge models. I think the bios might have the model number in there. Here is a review of one edge unit.

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-edge-13/4505-3121_7-33939705.html

Problem is two fold. First, the CPU is an "ULV" or Ultra Low Voltage C2D. It runs at a really low 1.3GHz (as they tested it, yours might be different.) and is a dual core model. A 1.3GHz C2D will be rather slow. Second, this one uses the Intel onboard 4500M. This is a really low end GPU/IGP. You would get upgraded drivers from Intel's website, but my gut says your laptop just isn't good enough to handle these games.

Solution

mintmix

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
My laptop has a sticker which says something like Intel Core i3, yeah I guess it isnt good enough. Okay can you suggest a full screen laptop that might be good for playing games downloaded from Big Fish?

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
See? You have a different model. IGP from i3 should be fine for anything bigfish has. I'd try upgrading the browser and checking the driver. Check Intel's website.

Are you playing these in browser or full on downloading then playing? If downloading like I think you are, it's got to be a heat throttle issue or old driver for the IGP.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
You're going to need the model number to see if you need to update the IGP driver from either Intel's or IBMs website. Intel might have an autodetect at their site so you can look and see.

It's a bit like going to a store and telling them you need new tires for your car. If you don't have the car outside for them to check, and you can't remember what make/model or size tires you have, they can't sell you the correct size tires. Without knowing what video card/IGP you have, I have no idea where to tell you to get drivers.

Edit: Can you install and run this? http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ I think all I'd need is the name.

mintmix

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
Okay I went to the site you um... suggested, so what am I supposed to do there? Do I download TechPowerUp GPU-Z v0.7.2 or do I download TechPowerUp GPU-Z v0.7.2 w/ ASUS ROG Skin?

Okay and I went to the System Information thing on my laptop and it told says tht my laptops model no. is 3254AM4... and the remaining memory is 242 MB, does that have to do anything with my problem?

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006