Do I Need New Speakers

TotalDbag

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
Ok, so way back in 2010 I bought an iphone dock speaker set and I just found out that it has an aux port. This was an $80 system so I decided I'd see if I could hook them up to the PC I'm building. Yes is the answer, but I'm having a static problem which is annoying me. I'm not sure what specifically is causing it, but I know it's something to do with the amp and not the actual speakers. When I hook earphones to the audio input jack I get the same static I get when the sound goes through the speakers. (I have no clue why anyone put a headphone input jack on speakers???) Is there a way to fix this problem or am I going to be buying some cheap speakers for the time being?

This one to be exact: sony hcd lx20i

It should be a headphone output jack not input. It's there so you can plug in headphones easily without having to reach for the computer jack which may be a lot further away. Do other speakers and headphones work fine with the computer? You can try moving the speakers around to see if there is some electrical interference, test the speakers with another source also.

TotalDbag

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
No, it doesn't make the static noise if I use another source. And it's not the computer. At first I thought interference, but I ruled that out. It's also not the jack itself because the static is still present when there isn't even anything plugged into the jack. This system has an output and input jack 9. And the static is still present when I use headphones instead of the speakers. But only on the aux port source. I'm guessing something is messed up with my amp. However this thing has been accumulating dust since 2010 so I'll crack it open and clean out any dust that's inside and see if that helps.