Do I need to buy expensive sound hardware or I can get same resulat with Adobe Audition?

Silicon Power

Estimable
Apr 11, 2017
Hi there, I have a MXL 990 mic and a behringer UMC 22 sound card. Quality seems good enough but I need to know for even a better quality do I need to buy expensive pre-amp/sound card or I can get similar result with softwares like Audition?

I forget to say I'm going to record vocal for a video game and I need cinematic quality for this. I want to know should I buy expensive hardwares of I can use a software like Adobe Audition instead of buying pre-amp/sound card?

Solution
Most any software can adjust the sound. The most important thing is the microphone then soundcard. If you are doing professional voice work for a video game I'd recommend a professional microphone. I have the same soundcard and a few others, and it's great, for $30-$40, but a quality mic will do wonders.

Test out what you have, make sure as stated before you have quality monitors, and see if the results are good enough for what you want. Quite a lot can be done with low cost hardware today, but if the results are not sufficient, think about a new mic and a quality soundcard.

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
What I have learned with sound equipment over the years is 'Spend Your Money On The Speakers' (or headphones).

You have a pretty nice card. If it sounds inadequate once you have excellent sound reproduction equipment, then upgrade it.
But I have always found it better to have expensive speakers and a cheap amp than the other way around.
The only way to know for sure is to LISTEN to a system that is better than what you have and see if you can tell the difference.

I don't know your use scenario.
Your mileage may vary.

Silicon Power

Estimable
Apr 11, 2017
Thanks I forget to say I'm going to record vocal for a video game and I need cinematic quality for this. I want to know should I buy expensive hardwares of I can use a software like Adobe Audition instead of buying pre-amp/sound card?

Corwin65

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015
Most any software can adjust the sound. The most important thing is the microphone then soundcard. If you are doing professional voice work for a video game I'd recommend a professional microphone. I have the same soundcard and a few others, and it's great, for $30-$40, but a quality mic will do wonders.

Test out what you have, make sure as stated before you have quality monitors, and see if the results are good enough for what you want. Quite a lot can be done with low cost hardware today, but if the results are not sufficient, think about a new mic and a quality soundcard.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS